How concerned should I be

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
81Charger
Family Elder

How concerned should I be

Post by 81Charger »

Hi all, my 16 year old daughter's foot has as she describes has felt like it's been asleep for over 2 weeks now. Everything else seems normal, coordination, balance energy etc. She played sports all weekend with no issues other than this foot. I realize that it could be other things but I think of MS first of course. My wife thinks I'm over reacting and jumping to conclusions. Just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Thanks Glenn
hargarah
Family Member

Re: How concerned should I be

Post by hargarah »

Highly doubtful that it is MS. It usually starts with Optic Neuritis, as the Eye has the most nerves in the body. Nevertheless, monitor it for a few days - an MRI can be ordered if it persists. Also, just a check - ask her to bend her neck down, while sitting or standing upright. If she feels an electric shock down her spine (Lhermitte's Sign: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323889.php), then there is cause for concern. Most probably - she slept on it all night...

Hope this helps.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Why haven't you taken her to her doctor yet?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Glenn,

I also feel you might be jumping the gun. The simple answer is to take your daughter to a sports medicine doctor. What you've described, so far, sounds like a sensory issue so it make sense to see if a subtle motor issue is involved. You won't find the answer anywhere on the internet. Someone qualified needs to look.
It is quite possibly very minor but guessing is not the way to objectively look at it.
Even if it is minor, not checking opens up the risk of exposing her to a gait issue that might affect her hip, her knee or her back. Deal with it while it is simple.
Regards,
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

Thanks everyone, she does have a Dr. appointment tomorrow. I did ask her to bend neck down and she felt nothing at all, which is good. Hopefully they can find out what's going on and everything will be fine. Fingers crossed!

Glenn