Sleep?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ArthurJ
Family Member

Sleep?

Post by ArthurJ »

Does anybody else have difficulty getting regular sleep? I find it all too easy to stay up all night on a repeated basis even though my mobility suffers from doing so. Yes, I've tried melatonin, but it only helps when I actually get in bed (no surprise there). It's like I don't get sleepy anymore. I just seem to get weak as the hours accumulate.
HarbourBoy

Re: Sleep?

Post by HarbourBoy »

Yes I am fatigued all day and seem to get a second wind at bedtime. If it were not for starting work early in the morning I would switch my schedule.
I have been taking a prescription sleeping pill every night for four or five years now. I don’t think sleeping under the influence of a drug is quality sleep and thus the fatigue the following day. I sleep 7-10 hrs per night. Once dependent on these drugs it takes larger doses to maintain the status quo. I’m trying hard not to let that happen. I am always falling into my deepest sleep just when it’s time to get up. I think sleep is a neurological state and MS is a neurological condition and the realms overlap. Fatigue is one of the most crippling symptoms
HarbourBoy

Post by HarbourBoy »

Ment to say “not” quality sleep
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

HarbourBoy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:32 pm Yes I am fatigued all day and seem to get a second wind at bedtime. If it were not for starting work early in the morning I would switch my schedule.
I have been taking a prescription sleeping pill every night for four or five years now. I don’t think sleeping under the influence of a drug is quality sleep and thus the fatigue the following day. I sleep 7-10 hrs per night. Once dependent on these drugs it takes larger doses to maintain the status quo. I’m trying hard not to let that happen. I am always falling into my deepest sleep just when it’s time to get up. I think sleep is a neurological state and MS is a neurological condition and the realms overlap. Fatigue is one of the most crippling symptoms
Many sleeping aids have anticholinergic activity, i.e., inhibit the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and can increase the risks of developing dementia.

viewtopic.php?p=249928#p249928