Research

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

dignan and jimmylegs should get together?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:04 am

yes
91%
no
9%

Total votes: 11

bromley
Family Elder

Research

Post by bromley »

WARNING - For those who have issues with the NMSS please don't read any further.

Dear all,

The NMSS is pumping a vast amount of $s into MS research. I have had good impressions of the NMSS having had correspondence with their head and their director of research. The NMSS also is happy to fund overseas researchers such as one of my neuros, Prof Giovannoni, and other top dogs at Cambridge.

Here is a list of currently fuunded NMSS research - it's long but worth a flick through for those nerds like myself. As usual there is the usual EAE / let's cure a mouse stuff, but also a lot of funding for neuro-protection and repair projects.

What also surprised me was the number of projects which are looking at our hobby horses: ebv and B cells (me), Helminth (which Lyon bores us to death about), Uric acid, Vit D (the beautiful, but slightly mad, Jimmylegs), minocycline (an old favourite), hormones (the beautiful, but more mature Shayk), and PPAR (various). There is unfortunately nothing about insulin (time to give up the ghost on this one Lindacarol - couldn't your parents decide on either Linda or Carol?). Also Histamine is being studied (I won't mention a certain person who has shown interest in this). Nothing I could see on abx - so get back to your painting by numbers Anecdote rather than wasting time reading the attached.

Ian

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/pdf/re ... tState.pdf
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

slightly mad

Post by jimmylegs »

lol i love you too brom
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Thats pretty sad when you look at the little research Canada is getting grants for considering we are considered one of the chosen countries to get it.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Ian

I'm lol too.

Sharon
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Nothing with insulin. Darn!!!

Post by lyndacarol »

Ian, I appreciated this posting; I was disappointed that there was no work with insulin, of course.

By the way, you wrote:

"There is unfortunately nothing about insulin (time to give up the ghost on this one Lindacarol - couldn't your parents decide on either Linda or Carol?)."

Carol is my middle name. I tried to register here under "Lynda," and even under "Linda," but they are apparently already taken, so I thought first AND middle name was the next best choice (At least I would probably remember it was me!)

I also appreciate your sense of humor ("give up the ghost"...approaching Halloween); but you know I can't because the explanation seems to fit my particular situation too well. Thanks for thinking of me.

Say, with your close relationship with good neuros in the UK, please suggest that they look into this insulin angle, OK?
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Research

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Linda,

Sorry - I love North Americans to death but the one thing that disturbs me is this habit of merging names SammyJo, Bobbylee etc.

Like all our hobby horses, I'm sure insulin is involved in this multi-faceted disease.

Ian
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Bob,

Perhaps the NMSS weren't great in the past but nobody can say that they are not putting their money where their mouth is (or rather the money raised by the public). And it's not all auto-immune type projects - they are also funding projects looking at glutamate, sodium channel blockers etc etc. They are also funding a five year Phase II Rituximab trial - this seems a long time for a Phase II trial, but I suspect the trial is looking at the impact on disease progression rather than just annual relapse rates and enhancing lesions etc. And you have to applaud the funding of repair strategies. Every avenue that can be pursued is being pursued and many of the researchers being funded are among the very best in the world.

The other point to note, is that most of the projects end in the period 2006-2009. I suspect that in this period there will be several breakthroughs relating to genetics and cause. I know that some of the MS veterans on this site will be of the "heard it all before" school of thought, but the funding is at unheard of levels and now exploiting technology which was not available in the past. The work of the Accelerated Cure Project, and its repository, should also advance the knowledge / breakthroughs. And of course other research work is being funded in the UK, Canada, Australia etc. The recent posting on MS in Canada (the increase in MS in women) is providing new insights into the possible environmental factor/s.

The only negative issue I have is that the NMSS is funding someone to look at treatments for constipation in MS. I wouldn't mind the $44,000 for this work. Prunes and Danish Blue cheese have always worked for me. But I don't possess the title Professor which would give me the credibility required.

Ian
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Bob,

I'm not sure whether you were around in Feb when I posted information on an exchange of e-mails I had with the President / CEO and Director of Research at the NMSS. I had responded to an e-mail from the NMSS seeking views on their services etc. My expereince was very positive and I truly believe that the major breakthroughs will come from the NMSS given its size / finances. As usual, others will have a different view, but when the President / CEO and the Director of Research take the time to respond in detail to points made (often critical points) by a citizen of the UK one can only be impressed. Here is the end of the e-mail sent by the Director of Research (sorry to those who have seen it before):

"But, the recent advances in molecular biology, cell culture techniques, and in deciphering the human genome provide unprecedented opportunities to tackle MS, TODAY. With our current technologies, new therapies abound in various stages of development. I am convinced that technology will enable us to stop this disease well before we know how to prevent it. Those involve different “cures”. But it is our responsibility to vigorously tackle each of the three cures: stopping disease activity/progression, repairing the nervous system, and preventing the disease altogether. These will require different strategies and different technologies. We are aggressively pursuing all three and I am certain that you will be impressed as you witness the developments of the upcoming years".

No-one can argue that they are not pursuing these 'cures aggressively' given the projects being funded. I take a lot of hope from what they are doing.

Ian
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Okay Ian, I haven't looked, I've been too busy with my painting by numbers set. :wink: Its the biggest one I've been given so far:

An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Sarah,

You know that the print you sent me takes pride of place in my upstairs hallway. :)

Behind this nasty exterior lurks a nice person - I sent Shayk a special bar of chocolate all the way to Virginia and treated Jaded to a nice lunch.

Don't forget your old friend Ian at Christmas if you have any paintings that need a new home. I could also do with a hand varnishing the decking if you had a free day.

Ian
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

OK, which joker voted no to the question should Dignan and Jimmylegs get together? I suspect that jealousy is at play - was it you Scoobyjude?

I have already been successful in getting two members on this site into wedding mode - if you don't believe me ask Raven (Robin). And I'm going to the wedding.

Dignan and Jimmylegs would make a lovely couple and I'd be prepared to fly all the way to Canada for the big day.

I'll start posting MS stories again tomorrow, but today is about romance.

Ian
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

:D

Post by jimmylegs »

rofl!!! ah this is the best medicine