Fingolimod better than interferon beta and GA

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
frodo
Family Elder

Fingolimod better than interferon beta and GA

Post by frodo »

Disability progression in relapse-free multiple sclerosis patients on fingolimod versus interferon-beta/glatiramer acetate

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10 ... 8520918489

Abstract

Background:

Disability progression independent of relapses (PIRA) has been described as a frequent phenomenon in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS).
Objective:

To compare the occurrence of disability progression in relapse-free RRMS patients on interferon-beta/glatiramer acetate (IFN/GA) versus fingolimod.
Methods:

This study is based on data from the Swiss association for joint tasks of health insurers. Time to relapse and 12-month confirmed disability progression were compared between treatment groups using multivariable Cox regression analysis with confounder adjustment. Inverse-probability weighting was applied to correct for the bias that patients on fingolimod have a higher chance to remain relapse-free than patients on IFN/GA.
Results:

We included 1640 patients (64% IFN/GA, 36% fingolimod, median total follow-up time = 4–5 years). Disease-modifying treatment (DMT) groups were well balanced with regard to potential confounders. Disability progression was observed in 155 patients (8.8%) on IFN/GA and 51 (7.6%) on fingolimod, of which 44 and 23 were relapse-free during the initial DMT, respectively. Adjusted standard regression analysis on all patients indicated that those on fingolimod experience less frequently disability progression compared with IFN/GA (hazard ratio = 0.53 (95% confidence interval = 0.37–0.76)). After bias correction, this was also true for patients without relapses (hazard ratio=0.56 (95% confidence interval = 0.32–0.98).
Conclusion:

Our analysis indicates that fingolimod is superior to IFN/GA in preventing disability progression in both relapsing and relapse-free, young, newly diagnosed RRMS patients.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Re: Fingolimod better than interferon beta and GA

Post by gibbledygook »

If my experience is anything to go by, I would definitely agree that Fingolimod is better than beta interferon. I've been on Fingolimod since around 2013 and I basically haven't had a relapse since then. I also started in around 2016 to take Trazodone which is a sleeping tablet/anti depressant which is said to have neurite sprouting effects. I also went for the bilateral jugular stenting at Stanford which had a wonderful but short-lived effect. I then had a stent placed in a vein for Nutcracker syndrome but this had a powerfully negative effect on my symptoms triggering a relapse after which I went on Fingolimod.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,