FES device questions

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Jaded
Family Elder

FES device questions

Post by Jaded »

Hi

So after many years of foot drop, I mentioned to my new neuro (thankfully a lovely lady who listens) that I was having walking problems. To be honest when I spoke to her it wasn't as bad as it is now, because lockdown has meant less gym, less swimming and less walking so I can feel the bottom of my foot dragging on the floor at home. I have tried so many exercises and glute and hamstring strengthening to build up the muscle loss in my leg, but nothing can replace the repetitive daily exercise that walking fully and with a normal gait can have on that leg.

I went to the clinic on Tuesday and was given the standard Odstock device. They fitted it at the same time and I have been using it since. It is tricky to get the pads in the right place to stimulate the peroneal nerve, but am hoping I get better at this.

I really am struggling with the mental aspect. :( I know it has a therapeutic effect for some people and I would like to tell myself that it's for therapy, and the muscles will get stronger and the nerves will join in and find new ways to get the message across. It's this I need help with most.

I was wondering what experience some of you may have had with such devices?

It's a very simple device with a foot thing too and wires everywhere. I know there are more sophisticated ones in the UK that come with just the calf strap like the US's walkaid and bioness. I will see how I get on with this but if it's therapeutic then it would make sense to invest in something like that sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for your help as always

J x