Clean MRI but heavy symptoms!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Shell_BC

Clean MRI but heavy symptoms!

Post by Shell_BC »

Is there anyone out there that has had an MRI from the neck up,has no lesions,but suffers greatly with all known symptoms?If there are others please let me know,so I don't feel so alone in this journey.Thank you.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Clean MRI but heavy symptoms!

Post by HarryZ »

Shell,

One of the biggest drawbacks of MRIs for MS patients is the known fact that there isn't a correlation between the lesions and symptoms that a patient suffers. One can have a number of lesions and few symptoms or one or two lesions and multiple, severe symptoms. That's why MRIs aren't used as a sole tool to diagnose the disease.

Many clinical trials point out the lesions on the patients' MRI have been reduced because of the drug that has been used but that's of little consequence if the patient is suffering terribly from many symptoms.

I would pay far more attention to your symptoms as opposed to what kind of MRI pictures you may get.

Harry
Shell_BC

A BIG THANK YOU,HARRY!!!!!!!

Post by Shell_BC »

When I read your response I certainly felt better,mentally :) I have awonderful doctor here.She basically said"If it walks like a duck?"I am new to these rooms,or boards,never really considered that chatting with others who have the same illness would be of benefit.Already,due to your e-mail,I know now that I'm not alone.Thanks again and if you would like to continue chatting(e-mailing)I would be glad to.Truly Shell_BC
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: A BIG THANK YOU,HARRY!!!!!!!

Post by HarryZ »

Shell,

Glad that my message made you feel somewhat better.

I don't have MS but my wife has for over 30 years and I've been following MS research for longer than that. (Had an uncle who had the disease as well)

I participate in 8 different MS forums and find this particular one is excellent for obtaining a wide variety of information about the disease. There are some great people here who have a lot to offer.

If you ever need assistance we are all here to try and help.

Harry
art
Family Elder

Post by art »

Have you had a spinal MRI? If your brain is clean, you might have lesions in your spine. I'd look in to getting one if I were in your situation. Other reasons it might be clean: MRI wasn't powerful enough, Gd enhancement wasn't dosed high enough.

There is also the consideration of other diseases that look like MS. I'm assuming you had a battery of tests for differential diagnosis. MS is a clinical diagnosis of exclusion: there's not test for it and it's general contingent on a neuro exam and the exclusion of a number of diseases that look a lot like MS. For a good list, look at the last 2 pages of this form http://www.bostoncure.org/downloads/BCP ... nnaire.pdf

I should point out you would not be expected to get tested for each of those diseases, they're just a list of diseases you *could* check for.