No one knows what's wrong with me.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: No one knows what's wrong with me.

Post by NHE »

katybarthedoor wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:28 pm @NHE Sorry, I haven't been around for a while. I've been dealing with all this craziness. Yes, I had to fast for the bloodwork.
As you probably know, normal fasting blood sugar levels are less than 100 mg/dL. A value of 126 mg/dL puts you in the range of someone with diabetes. Your high level is likely due to dietary issues. From what you've described, it sounds like you might be consuming a lot of processed food items. Processed food is loaded with hidden sugar. One example is ketchup. We don't often think of ketchup as a sugary food. However, it's 24% sugar by weight. That's a lot (I now use tomato sauce on my burgers instead as it's usually down around 3.5% sugar by weight). Sweetened yogurt is another example. It typically has just as much sugar and sometimes even more than a can of Coke. A change in diet to eating more fresh fruit and vegetables will help to bring your fasting glucose level down. I also suspect that it would even help to improve your general overall health and might even reduce or eliminate some of your symptoms. You can make changes gradually. For example, you could try snacking on some red grapes instead of a processed food snack. Carrot sticks will also go a long way to satisfying cravings for something to crunch on instead of chips which are usually sweetened. Unsalted nuts, such as cashews, are also good. I try to eat a low sugar diet and find that to be helpful. For example, a big change for me happened when I switched to eating unsweetened yogurt several years ago. I also switched to putting pesto on my french toast instead of jam or syrup. I now find that I'm sensitive to eating sugary foods and they typically make me feel bad. For example, I had a single piece of a cake at a family member's birthday celebration a while back and it made me feel like I was shaking inside for a couple of hours. In short, the Standard American Diet (SAD) laden with lots of processed foods with high sugar content is not designed for health, but rather to make food companies lots of money selling sugary addictive food.

Remember, start with small changes. They'll be easier to work into your daily routine. Over time, several small changes can make a big difference.

Return to “General Discussion”