Sex & Gender in Health & Disease

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Sex & Gender in Health & Disease

Post by jimmylegs »

NIH Offers Its First Research Project Grant (R01) on Sex and Gender (2020)
https://orwh.od.nih.gov/in-the-spotligh ... and-gender

"In the past decade, there has been growing recognition that disease prevalence, course and outcomes in women and men are influenced by both biologic sex and gender. ... This FOA seeks research that will expand the current understanding of the sex and gender factors that drive these crucial differences."
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Leonard
Family Elder

Re: Sex & Gender in Health & Disease

Post by Leonard »

This study grant is an interesting initiative by the NIH, but not a big surprise.
I suspect the NIH is thinking in the direction of SNPs/point mutations as well, to explain the gender bias and a whole lot more.
This is hopeful because I consider that if there is one organisation in the world that can change the current paradigm, or at the very least give an important impetus to change, it will be the NIH.

It is the SNPs/point mutations in the X/Y sex chromosomes that explain the gender bias.
These react to the interferons produced in the cells and with that determine the anti-viral state of the cells.
A wider understanding of the mechanisms is provided on the other thread on Theoretical Immunology.
Start reading from here until the end of page 62:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15188&sid=8c342ddfd ... 00#p260052

I wrote to the NIH to draw their attention to the new insights.