Epstein-Barr & MS on the radio

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Epstein-Barr & MS on the radio

Post by tzootsi »

As you may have heard, there has been a major breakthrough as far as linking MS to Epstein-Barr virus. Here is an interview with the scientist working on this. Unfortunately his accent makes it hard to understand him, but he feels this is a major breakthrough.
https://www.sciencefriday.com/episodes/january-21-2022/
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Epstein-Barr & MS on the radio

Post by 1eye »

Just heard it. Very significant was his saying they tested 10 million people who had never had EBV, and *none* of them got MS. So that's why they did the study. Where we have such large samples, we may learn a lot! How many people *don't* ever get a disease is a very good indication of probably a lot of stuff. A negative of causation? (Cancers anyone?)

Also there are a lot of studies that have been started on account of this result. In a few years we may have a preventative vaccination. A world without MS is coming soon!

Yay!

To me I think we should soon find out more about timing: how long after an EBV infection does it typically take to develop MS? I know, it takes forever to diagnose MS (will we be able to do that quicker? Will diagnosis be a simple blood test?

The more accurate we can be with timing on diagnosis of MS, the better our information about how long triggering MS might take after infection with EBV will also be.

Chris
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)