Position re minocycline trials

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Position re minocycline trials

Post by bromley »

dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Nice find Bromley! That's enough information for me to move minocycline to phase 3. I love moving things to phase 3...maybe I should get a life...
Rita
Family Member

Post by Rita »

I do hope in this trial. I feel something good from minocycline.
finn
Contributing Author

Post by finn »

This is good news! Thanks for sharing it, Ian.

Actually, it gives me an excuse to show this impressive graph illustrating the lack of relapses in the previous Canadian minocycline trial (a triangle means a relapse). During the last 18 months none of the patients had any relapses:

-finn
"The great tragedy of science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.” -Thomas Henry Huxley
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Ian,

Great find.

I noticed that the will indicate treatment for CIS, yet the 10 participants of the phase II study were anything but CIS and yet the 8 the remained in the study benefited, despite a high pre-study relapse rate. Hmmmm.. Why are the so hesitant to recommend this for not only CIS but current RRMS patients?

All I know is that I have been taking Minocycline and so far I've had no other issues. I look forward to seeing MRI results just out of curiosity, but that is a ways down the road.

Again thanks for this find!

Brock
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

finn wrote:During the last 18 months none of the patients had any relapses
Let me in this study, i'll fix the numbers... I have been on mino for a while, and doxy for a while before that. i HAVE had a relapse while on mino.

My relapses are directly linked to infections (eg viral)Image, and mino didn't stop it. But I wont be giving up on it any time soon with reports coming in like this!
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Cureorbust,

My relapses are directly linked to infections as well and I just had a terrible sinus/ear/upper chest infection and THIS TIME I didn't have a relapse. Luck? or Mino? Not sure, but I have been on Mino almost 4 full months with no problems and throw the infection in there and still no relapse. I hope that its the Mino that helped. ??

Brock
DavidR
Family Member

Post by DavidR »

CureOrBust,

In that U. of Calgary study, the relapses continued for the first 6 months the patients were on Minocycline but then stopped after that. How long have you been on Minocycline and have you had a relapse more than 6 months after starting?
Also, one person in the study was on a lower dosage (50 m.g. b.i.d. instead of 100 m.g. b.i.d. being taken by the rest of the group) and the treatment was less effective for that person. What is your dosage?
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

I've been taking doxycycline for 2.5 years. This drug has identical anti-inflammatory properties to the minocycline. I have been taking 200mg per day. I have also experienced a relapse just recently on this drug. This may have been caused by overuse of another drug combined with a viral infection and use of an infrared sauna.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

oh yeah, Lorias, I forgot to mention that relapses continued to occur until after six months of taking minocycline, then it dropped off to virtually none. The 5 weeks you took minocycline is way too short and now you will probably have to take for another 6 months to build up in your system the amount needed for that effect. Or at least that is what I would think.

Brock

DavidR wrote:CureOrBust,

In that U. of Calgary study, the relapses continued for the first 6 months the patients were on Minocycline but then stopped after that. How long have you been on Minocycline and have you had a relapse more than 6 months after starting?
Also, one person in the study was on a lower dosage (50 m.g. b.i.d. instead of 100 m.g. b.i.d. being taken by the rest of the group) and the treatment was less effective for that person. What is your dosage?
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I know, that's why it is so frustrating to have had to stop. I am still waiting for a call back from when I talked to the nurse. It's kind of ridiculous! I know that you can't stop/start antibiotics for anything, so why would this be any different?! Hopefully in the next day or two!

Glad to know that you had some symptoms, etc. initially. I won't be surprised to experience some things also.

Lori
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

DavidR wrote:How long have you been on Minocycline and have you had a relapse more than 6 months after starting?
I think its been about 12 months, and a further 12-18 before that with doxy. So yes.
DavidR wrote:What is your dosage?
100mg BID