lp results- no o bands and question about albumin and IgA

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
lamom
Getting to Know You...

lp results- no o bands and question about albumin and IgA

Post by lamom »

I went and picked up my lab results yesterday but am not seeing the dr until monday and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this-

I was releived to see there were no o-bands- is this pretty much a definite as to no ms? I know some people with ms don't have them, but it's a low percentage, right? I haven't gotten the mri results and only had one lesion on brainstem back in sept- waiting on spine and follow up brain mri.

I feel like the dr would have called if he thought it was ms, correct?

Everything was normal on the results except my albumin and IgA (cfs) were both a little low- I dont' have any idea what these have to do with and the internet is full of medical mumbojumbo- does anyone know?

I want to be prepared for what the dr says, but not knowing what the mri says I guess I can't be- I really want to just go ahead and be relieved and get back to living!

I sincerely hope he doesn't say "lets wait and see in another 6 months"- I really don't like the idea of wondering if I have MS for another 6 months- 2 weeks has been hard enough! I don't know how some of you go for years wondering- it's VERY distracting to everyday life-

thanks-
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Lamom-

Glad to hear there were no bands...I'm happy and relieved for you!
This means there is no myelin protein in your spinal fluid- a positive sign.

Here's an a good explanation of low serum albumin-

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understan ... /test.html

Could be a malnutrition/absorption issue, or something going on with your liver. Your doc will explain more-
Low IgA could signal a problem with the immune system, but again, you'll need to talk to your doc.

Try to relax. All signs point to a good report. In contrast, the doc called us an hour after my husband's MRI...due to the number of lesions in his brain and spine. His MS dx came right after the LP showed those bands.

Whatever the future holds, get back to living now...this present moment is all any of us have.

best,
AC
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

Someone i met recently had symptoms eg numbness, tingling that pointed to ms. her mri showed demylination and she was told that it was likely to be ms. She was even given ms literature to go away and digest. A follow up LP showed no bands. Her neuro then said it was not ms. On the one side great relief but on the other she still has some symptoms such as fatigue.
Hopefully you have had one of those episodes with some symptoms that never develop further. That's pretty much the course my ms took for almost 20 years- so either way try not to let worries of what might be hold you back.
muu
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

My spinal turned out normal but I have been diagnosed with MS. They say the o bands thing is just one of the factors that could be added into a diagnosis.

Are my neuro's right?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ya basically they are. go to this link:
http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/diagnosingms.html
and scroll down to the table following this bit
Still more recently, 4th May 2001, an international panel in collaboration with the NMSS of America has recommended revising the diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis.
The new proposed diagnostic criteria are:
coomoob
Family Member

Post by coomoob »

lamom - pretty much same thing with me......everything was normal on the LP results, except for high levals of protein/myelin. They can't diagnose me officially at this time. I have to wait six months and start all over again with an MRI.
lamom
Getting to Know You...

Post by lamom »

really coo? didn't you have a lot of lesions? I can't remember what your spinal mri said, but I guess with only one known flare they wait? I have NO idea what to expect at the dr's tomorrow- not nervous about it all anymore and I'll save any anxiety for an actual diagnosis I suppose- this is still an unpleasant way to pass the time- waiting for the other shoe to drop!

best of luck to you- I think we need it!
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coomoob
Family Member

Post by coomoob »

lamom wrote:really coo? didn't you have a lot of lesions? I can't remember what your spinal mri said, but I guess with only one known flare they wait? I have NO idea what to expect at the dr's tomorrow- not nervous about it all anymore and I'll save any anxiety for an actual diagnosis I suppose- this is still an unpleasant way to pass the time- waiting for the other shoe to drop!

best of luck to you- I think we need it!
I had a lot of lesions (however all small in size, per the radiologist at work)....50/50 lumbar....and quick resolving symptoms. So they can't "officially" diagnose me because of all of those different factors. So in 6 months I'll have another MRI to check and 6 months after that....or wait for another attack to confirm. So they seem to be taking a conservative approach with me b/c of my age (i'm 27). They don't want to cause and liver damage with meds over a fully lifetime of usage.

Good luck at the Neuro!
Last edited by coomoob on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coomoob
Family Member

Post by coomoob »

Lyon wrote:It's amazing how much variety exists in requirements for diagnosis.

Agreed!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

that's because it's just a big ol grab bag for 'we don't know'
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

I think it's about 5 to 10% of people who are diagnosed with MS without having oligoclonal banding, which is part of the reason why diagnosis can remain " possible" or "probable" for such a long time. It's an awful situation to be in.
I suppose if there was a single, definitive test, that would signal we are closer to understanding and treating the disease. Jimmylegs spoke the horrible truth: " we don't know",
Dom
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

yes, you're right Dom. I was in the probable /possible category for approx 18 fairly symptom free years before i developed footdrop and then neatly slotted into the spms category. Neuros often look for 2 episodes approx 6 months apart and affecting different areas of the body as part of the dx as well as mri and LP results. I myself have never had a LP- my first neuro freaked me out about it and my phobia just grew.
scaredy muu
lamom
Getting to Know You...

Post by lamom »

Well- it is comforting to see that only 5-10% don't have o bands- I go in tomorrow morning so I'll post at some point on what he says. I feel pretty good about it.

The only thing that's hanging in the back of my mind are two episodes I had over the last 6 years- they both involved a severe chest tightening that sounds a lot like banding. The second one also involved sensations in my spine that led me and my gp at the time to assume I'd had meningits. I was too afraid of the lp at the time so I refused and was never really sure what it was. It took weeks to get my strength back. I also remember being at the ob 2 years ago and asking her why my hands and feet tingled all the time- she said she didn't know and that was the last time I thought about it until now-

Muu-I did have the lp two weeks ago and it was a breeze! really!
coomoob
Family Member

Post by coomoob »

Good luck. 8)