Massive tremor and shaking when stretching & yawning.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Massive tremor and shaking when stretching & yawning.

Post by Grumpster »

I have recently been getting massive tremors and shaking when I stretch, or yawn. This is pretty troubling. When I am in bed and I do a little stretch my whole body shakes like a scene from invasion of the body snatchers movie. It also is apparent when I do something as benign as a yawn. What the hay is that? Has anyone else had this, or am I breaking new ground with my bizzare symptoms? Somehow I kind of doubt that. I take a few meds for tremor, on an as needed basis. Valium - effective, but not so good at work :? Zanaflex - good for 8-9 hours of pass-out like sleep and a hangover till 11 next day. I have heard of some new stuff, but no real knowledge. Does anyone else take something usefull without the knockout power of the ones I take?

Thanks!
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Happens all the time ,like you say when i try and put my legs straight or stand , get out of bed ect. It is so violent no stopping it. I am getting use to it now the only time it dosen't happen is when i have some dope and i get some releif for a couple of hours or so, never had any luck with baclofen.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Hey Grump,

I get that alot. Especially the yawning one. I found out the hard way that you better not have a cup of coffee in your hand when you yawn "hard". I did that at work, you know one of those wide open mouth yawns, and then I started the shaking and my coffee went everywhere. I also get it in my legs when I get up from sitting at my computer for a half hour or so. It feels like I've been on an 8 hour road trip and my first few steps look like something...well I don't know, but it's spastic. I don't normally get that way from stretching, but I'm sure it's coming.

I'm like Robbie in that the dope works allright for the post yawn shakes, but I've never tried anything else so I can't help you there. It's good to hear you are still working. If I remember correctly you were having some issues with deciding what to do there a while back. I hope you find what you are looking for, and if you do, make sure you pass it on. I also have access to Valium since I take it in really small doses (2.5 mg every 6 hours) to help with my bladder. But I also won't take more than that at work. There is no worse feeling when you are already feeling inadequate in your endurance at work than to be zonked out.
Jim_P
Family Member

Post by Jim_P »

I slipped in the shower and fell because of this exact thing.

I used to love to yawn!
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Man I hate that!! I got clonus, so I get out of bed and my legs shake, I go piss, go back to bed, stretch and have a mini earthquake.

I can't be on cement because I will crack it hehe.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Wow, i had no idea this was common

Post by Grumpster »

My wife is freaking out. She thinks this signals the end is near. Maybe so?... (Oh boy I do not want to get started on that again)

Anyway I have a bad reaction to the MJ. I get worse tremor almost immediately upon use. It sucks because I used to get relief. God is messing with me :wink: I also take low doses of the valium 2.5 mg when at work as necessary. Anymore than that is no good as Loobie mentions.

Loobie, sorry to hear that the urination problems are so bad. I am starting to have them too. I get up every night and often once ready to go, I can not. Sometimes it is only a slow trickle that lasts a few minutes. I guess I can consult with you on coping strategies when I get worse.

I guess for now we all will just Rock the Casbah and shake away while people stare and wonder WTF.

Best of Luck to us all.
GeoGuy
Family Elder

Post by GeoGuy »

Wow, I thought I was the only one that had tremors when yawning. Not nearly as bad as you guys describe, but I can relate to Loobies story about the coffee. Usually a hard yawn makes my left hand shake but I never really connected it to my MS until I read these posts.

Jack
RRMS since 01/07.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Happens to me too… BIG time! One morning while I was having a stretch in the bed at about 5.00 AM my night carer genuinely thought it was an earthquake because everything in her bedroom rattled and shook!
It always feels like some kind of feedback loop to me: the muscles stretch and tighten and the sensation causes some kind of reflexive kickback which makes the knees bend, but the bending of the knees immediately causes another stretch and so on – especially if the soles of my feet make contact with the foot board.
The good thing is I seem to have a limited supply of them: once I've got a few out of my system, (especially after a shower), they seem to be all used up,
Dom

Return to “General Discussion”