spinal tap

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jasonc
Getting to Know You...

spinal tap

Post by jasonc »

If you definitely have MS, but the spinal tap was negative, does it change the prognosis, or are you exactly the same as someone who returned a positive result?
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Hi, Jason,

Here is my understanding:

As it stands right now, due to the fact that MS is even difficult to diagnose at all, prognosis is something that is pretty unpredictable no matter how it was diagnosed (i.e. from any particular criteria and/or test result combinations). The researchers are still studying and trying to find relevant correlations between disease presentation, test results or type(s) of clinical evidence with prognosis.

And it is being suggested more and more that CSF test results are not even as immediately necessary when diagnosing MS. There just is no reliable correlation that can definitely be stated right now as it pertains to prognosis. There are some guesses, but nothing definitive or proven yet.

So, can there be a comparison between types of MS based on CSF test results? No. Not any that can be reliable. But they are working on trying to find methods to help with prognosis.

The problem, also, is that different "types" of MS can change or progress suddenly (but percentage-wise, that happens more slowly) into other types. Such as RRMS suddenly becoming SPMS or another progressive type.

I do believe that they have a better idea of diagnosis and prognosis by monitoring you over a period of time (which can be a combination of past and present disease presentations) your degeneration and/or permanent physical damage. Especially if you exhibit symptoms and disease progression of a particular high rate of speed. That usually is what tells them you most likely have a progressive form of MS. But even that is still basically a "diagnostic" method, and not necessarily a reliable clinically definite "prognostic" method.

That's another mystery of MS - prognosis, but they are close in some areas to finding relationships between disease presentation, type of damage, test results and prognosis.

Deb
OneEyeBlind
Family Member

Post by OneEyeBlind »

JasonC,

I was diagnosed in August 04. Last year I developed Optic Neuritis and was sent for an MRI and a Spinal tap. The MRI clearly showed a lession however, the spinal tap was negitive. THey sent me for a second Spinal and that one was inconclusive too.

I don't know if this helps..
Karen (OneEyeBlind) :wink:

* I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
CCmom
Volunteer Moderator

Post by CCmom »

My son has had numerous spinal taps, but I will not allow them to do anymore on him. All were negative regarding MS. The only abnormality noted in the spinal fluid analysis during his "attacks" was an elevated white blood cell count.

Interestingly enough, he was tested at Vanderbilt initially, and his spinal fluid was never tested for chlamydia pneumoniae, which makes absolutely no sense if they still credit this theory at all.

My son has had altered prognosis' from the start. We started out as RRMS, and after a year, they decided he might be PPMS. But, after dropping the interferons and starting LDN, he has had no problems at all in over a year. So, go figure. We might as well consult a psychic for a prognosis as to ask a doctor, in my book.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kim
Kim R.