Assisted suicide article (woman with MS)

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ShootingStar
Family Member

Assisted suicide article (woman with MS)

Post by ShootingStar »

I have often been intrigued by the idea of assisted suicide, and figured it would be an option if I ever got to a certain point. Well, that point is a bit closer since being diagnosed with MS. I have always said I would want to go when I can't wipe my own a*s. I meant it in a joking way, but now...

Anyway, I found an interesting article. I had no idea that assisted suicide is legal in parts of Europe, and the article does raise issues about family members and what could happen if they drive you to the location or push your wheelchair into the building etc.

Here is the procedure.
~Kim in NV
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

It's a very controversial subject and I know that another lady lost a case at the high court for her husband not to be prosecuted.

I'm not sure I could ever ask someone to do that for me but I don't know what the future holds!
Sandrine
Family Member

Post by Sandrine »

Hi,

I'm German and I would go to Switzerland and ask for the help of "EXIT" or "Dignitas" if ... I don't know at which point.

Sandrine
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

The step before this one FOR ME would be to find someone who would help me with "assisted chemotherapy" (ie in the vein of revimmune or campath)

The next step (still before the assisted suicide) would be self "overdose" on oral cyclophosphamide. In Australia, the public health system would have to nurse you back to health.
Artifishual
Family Elder

Post by Artifishual »

I would never commit suicide not even if I could not walk, talk, move or anything. Life is to precious and is a gift of God. I know that many people do not share the same faith or for some any faith at all.

Here is a link to a Catholic view of assisted suicide.

http://short.LA/8kes

I am not judging anyone, I just think that for me life means too much to take the easy way out.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

life means too much to take the easy way out.
Faith or no faith there is nothing easy about suicide just the thought is not easy, I don't know how this saying even exists.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

I am not judging anyone, I just think that for me life means too much to take the easy way out.
Hmmm...."easy way out?"...by the time someone gets to the point of even thinking about suicide or assisted suicide, there is absolutely nothing "easy" about this! The amount of pain and suffering that the person has endured is likely to have been immense and in situations where there is no hope at all of this changing, one should be able to understand why the person would be thinking along these lines.

Whether you agree with assisted suicide or not is up to each individual and nothing is likely to change a person's opinion on this. But please, don't trivialize the situation by saying "it's the easy way out"!!

Harry
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Harry Z wrote:
Whether you agree with assisted suicide or not is up to each individual and nothing is likely to change a person's opinion on this.
You more than any of us know the suffering and distress that MS can cause. And I am 100% with you on this one. It's difficult to reconcile end-stage MS (or ALS etc) with a "gift". The priority should be to relieve suffering / distress etc. Our loved ones' wishes should always come first.

Ian
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

You more than any of us know the suffering and distress that MS can cause. And I am 100% with you on this one. It's difficult to reconcile end-stage MS (or ALS etc) with a "gift". The priority should be to relieve suffering / distress etc. Our loved ones' wishes should always come first.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I saw first hand what over 35 years of MS can do to a person as it slowly sliced Marg's life away. In the last year or so, she often made the comment that she would rather die than have to endure more pain and suffering. She also went on to say that she did not have the courage to commit suicide but certainly understood those who under similar circumstances, had this feeling.

Although I could not "feel" the pain Marg had, I certainly could understand why she made her comments and felt that way.

Harry
Artifishual
Family Elder

Post by Artifishual »

I thought about deleting my post, but then that would jeopardize my integrity. We all have different veiws on this subject and that is good. I still feel that any form of suicide is wrong.

I did not make my original post to step on anyones toes it is simply my opinion. arti
ShootingStar
Family Member

Post by ShootingStar »

Good for you, Arti. Different opinions make for interesting discussions I think. I was raised LDS (Mormon), and that church's official stand is very like the Catholic Church's.

I watched my mother (who was very Mormon) die of cancer and while she hated the saying "Endure to the end", she never mentioned wanting to do otherwise. She did, however, have a DNR (do not resucitate) order and also specified that no medications be given her should she get any other kind of medical condition. Even with Fentanyl patches and morphine she was not comfortable.

We are all here to choose for ourselves, and I for one am glad there are options, whether or not I need them. Oh, just discovered that the state of Oregon has physician assisted suicide (they can prescribe the drugs, but do not administer them).

Personally, I can't imagine the hell of a working mind and a useless body, and would rather take my chances on the Other Side. I seriously doubt that a father would want his children to suffer unbearably with these diseases, for what? Testing you? Testing your family and allowing them to "serve" you? Ugh. I as a mother couldn't stand that for my children!

But, that is MY opinion you see. :D
~Kim in NV
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

I did not make my original post to step on anyones toes it is simply my opinion. arti
Arti,

The one very good thing about this site is that in almost every instance, people will share and give their opinions without the fear of getting personally attacked by someone else who has a different opinion.

I'm sure that most of us here have not taken your opinion as "stepping on anyone's toes." You are entitled to you opinion just like anyone is. Some share your ideas, others do not. That's what these discussion forums are all about. And please don't consider deleting your post simply because others don't agree with what you believe.

Take care.

Harry
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

For me when the quality of life becomes so horrible that it doen not make since to open your eyes or do anything else then I think that may be time to consider this option. If you have to blow into a tube to communicate and can not wipe your own ars and that is your new life...to me it is time to depart. My thoughts only. I hear Amsterdam is a place to go for it.
G
duncan1
Getting to Know You...

Post by duncan1 »

I was infected with Lyme Disease in May of 1990 which went undiagnosed for 15 years and which resembled MS in many ways. For the next 15 years I had to struggle with suicidal impulses caused by the disease, but also by my own desire to end my life due to my failing health, so I know the feelings that you have, but I did eventually find a way out, mainly through my own research, so hope remains as long as life remains.

Remember:

Anyone who is dying of MS must be treated with Minocycline as it appears to be the best treatment, with the highest success rate yet developed. If you feel you are reaching the end, then experiment!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Dear Duncan-
You are well-intentioned. Minocycline worked for you, which is wonderful. The thing about matters of life and death is that we all have to deal with it in our own way. You can't use absolutes like "must" or "should". None of us know another's experiences.
My husband had horrible vascular headaches with minocycline, but he's found his way. He would never tell anyone that his way was the only way...in matters of health, religion, life or death.
Welcome to the boards from an old gal,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com