Ottawa to ban baby bottles made with bisphenol A

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
FAC

Post by FAC »

The federal government announced Friday it intends to ban the import and sale of polycarbonate baby bottles containing bisphenol A, making Canada the first country in the world to limit exposure to the controversial chemical.

Health Canada began reassessing bisphenol A, along with a number of other chemicals, in November 2007. The review looked at human and animal studies around the world into how much of the chemical is leaching from consumer products, such as plastic baby bottles and water bottles.

“But the plastics industry has vigorously defended the chemical, noting that it's been widely used for 50 years.”

Hmm the plastics industry said its been around for 50 years so it must be ok for humans, hmmmmm

This got me to wondering. Hmmm, I wonder are pesticides ok to spray over our crops and our lawns. Take organophosphates for instance, the basis of many insecticides, herbicides, and Nerve Gases. They’ve been around for well over 150 years, hmm what other diseases have been around for 150 years?????

I wonder what Dow AgroSciences Canada and Friedrich Bayer Canada would have to say about that…

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/04/ ... alcomments
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

A lot of people take this stuff very lightly and joke about it or simply ignore. When governments are banning its use and it's so easily avoided why would you continue to expose yourself to it?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

chemical is leaching from consumer products, such as plastic baby bottles and water bottles
So, how is it easy to avoid a chemical that isn't listed on the container? In Australia, they don't actually list the ingredients /chemicals of the container; and I am guessing any plastic food container may be suspect.
gwa
Family Elder

Re: Ottawa to ban baby bottles made with bisphenol A

Post by gwa »

FAC wrote:

I wonder what Dow AgroSciences Canada and Friedrich Bayer Canada would have to say about that…
"Money, money, money".

gwa
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

I wish I'd known about BPA as a young mother, giving my son plastic cups and bottles to drink from. So sad. You can now buy water bottles marked "BPA free" in the states, although BPA is still readily used. I'm a member of Environment California, we're trying to outlaw BPA....here's a few of their concerns-
-low level exposure to BPA causes insulin resistance and leads to diabetes
-in children, exposure creates learning disabilities and behavioral problems like ADHD
-Causes early puberty
-reduces sperm count
-causes birth defects
-decreases anti-oxidant enzymes
-increases breast cancer risk
Originally produced for use as a synthetic hormone in 1936, today bisphenol A (BPA) is manufactured in excess of six billion pounds per year. BPA is most commonly used as the building block of polycarbonate plastic for products such as baby bottles and water bottles, epoxy resins (coatings that line food containers), and white dental sealants. It is also an additive in other types of plastic used to make children’s toys.

Environment California

AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

AC,

The BPA and high fructose corn syrup in foods may be the main culprits for the obesity epidemic in western countries. What a mess that such food additions are allowed and that groups such as yours have to fight to get them out of our food sources.

Now you need to get on a committee to keep Chinese melamine out of the foods too!!

gwa
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

... epoxy resins ... and white dental sealants ...
ARGGGHHhhhhhh! I just had all my amalgams replaced with the white epoxy ones!

Although, they were a "Holistic" dentistry practice that pushes "Biocompatible materials"; they will be getting a phone call this week.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re:

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:So, how is it easy to avoid a chemical that isn't listed on the container? In Australia, they don't actually list the ingredients /chemicals of the container; and I am guessing any plastic food container may be suspect.
Here in the states, many plastics are labeled with recycling numbers 1-7, and 7 stands for anything else which doesn't fall under 1-6. Polycarbonate plastics are sometimes labeled with a 7 and sometimes there will even be a PC under the symbol but I've only seen that once or twice. In essence, avoid any clear (or colored) hard plastics which are unlabeled or which might have a 7 or PC on them. Research that I've read suggests that #2 plastics, i.e., high density polyethylene (HDPE) are safer. However, keep in mind that no plastic is safe when exposed to heat. Manufactures often put multiple additives in the plastic and these can still leach out especially with heat exposure.

NHE