Improved 25-Foot Walks on Antibiotics

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Is the sustained increase in walk speed meaningful in assessing how the Combined Antibiotic Protocol has benefited Kim?

Yes
67%
No
22%
Maybe, I will post why I feel this way
No votes
None of the Above, I will post my thoughts on this
11%

Total votes: 9

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

The difference between a European mind and an American one, maybe: I didn't think that Frank meant that Kim practised walking the 25 yards marked in the kitchen, just that she walks about with ease and without a cane by and large.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

That was quite an observation. :wink: me
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

No one got the humor in that.

As I understand it, quite usually means small in Europe and in the States it means significant.

Ok, Kim's Walk 6 is up and YouTubed.

AND ----> If you have not seen Robbie Walking - see the video at the bottom of the page. Ken

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I would say "quite an observation" and mean "that was a significant observation," but you are correct in saying that "quite" means "small" in the UK, if not elsewhere in Europe. Even my husband can mistake what I mean and think I am not being very enthusiastic!

Kim's walking is getting better, but this video is rather dark, so much of the detail is lost. She is looking more toned though, as you can see with the light shining through her cardigan.

As for Robbie, he said on this first page:
thanks Ken, i hope the antibiotics help some how maybe i will be one of those who they work for. i want out of this chair so bad it hurts.
I think his wish has come true.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Unlike Balloon Guy, I'm no professional with a camera. I don't even know for sure how the different settings work or come to be set how they are sometimes. But, I'm glad the new one is not dark.

I can't speak for Robbie, but I'm sure happy to see his video. I can't wait to see the next one, though I know how hard it can all feel inbetween the good days. Doing the videothing has been a bleessing for Kim, even before we thought of posting them. Theyhave become quite a motivation for her, it's really helpful for Kim to look back and see just how "best" her prior best-efforts have been.

I'll get on with posting the 7th walk in a few minutes. Ken

notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Ok, it's posted. The recorded time is 5.00. That's the time for the first walk. Kim wasn't happy about this convention, but even in this environment, I think we need need some rules for consistency.

I'm wondering what you think about Kim's effort to jog?

Also, I figured out how to fix up the "Channel" page to add a link to TIMS!!!! I also put up links to the other 4 boards I'm on. Ken

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I agree with you about consistency. Kim did slow down towards the end but it was still a very good time and the chart shows how much she has improved.

Best keep jogging for outdoors, though: I was once cycling round the park and a golden retriever suddenly stopped right in front of me, so I ended up on the grass. If Lucy had done that in your kitchen, Kim might have gone flying over her and hit her head on the hard floor.

Why has the film now gone into wide screen mode, though? 8O

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Anecdote wrote:I agree with you about consistency. Kim did slow down towards the end but it was still a very good time and the chart shows how much she has improved.

Best keep jogging for outdoors, though: I was once cycling round the park and a golden retriever suddenly stopped right in front of me, so I ended up on the grass. If Lucy had done that in your kitchen, Kim might have gone flying over her and hit her head on the hard floor.

Why has the film now gone into wide screen mode, though? 8O

Sarah
Sarah,
There are other walks we have done that are like this one. If you do a cross-check, you'll find that I always score the first one. While it's all anecdotal, I think we should all be doing the best we can to keep this stuff as consistent as possible.

The 5 seconds is a really good time. Here's a real leap of a thought. When we look at art, we develop our own interpretation which is often somewhat different than the intention of the original artist - AND - the original experience of the artist at the initiation, development, construction and completion of an art work may be molded along the way and remain only fully comprehendible to the original artist. These videos just may fulfill my ages ago desire to be a conceptual artist.

I was going to say something cute about Lucy getting in the way, but I also know that animal cruelty is an unfortunate reality. Lucy has never been injured, threatened maybe, but not injured. Imagine the dog in your way during Flagyl week?

I'm not an expert on video. I don't exactly know how all the settings work on the camera. I might have this sorted out now, but as you can tell from the "dark" video, I might have a better shot as conceptual artist than Professional Football Cameraman. I just might have to stick with accounting for now.

Ken :P

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

The 5 seconds is a really good time. Here's a real leap of a thought. When we look at art, we develop our own interpretation which is often somewhat different than the intention of the original artist - AND - the original experience of the artist at the initiation, development, construction and completion of an art work may be molded along the way and remain only fully comprehendible to the original artist. These videos just may fulfill my ages ago desire to be a conceptual artist.
And 4,47 is even better! And on a hot July night. However I was forgetting about that thing which we rarely have in the UK: air conditioning. Well, we do in draught old houses like ours, but then it is accidental.

With regards to your ages ago desire to be a conceptual artist, when I first started my web site, I put reasons on most pages for me doing something in a certain way, but I ended up several years later just posting the works because I reasoned it was more fun to see how people interpreted my works and I was seeing too many cut and pastes at various places on the Internet rather than any thinking of their own.

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Sarah,
I think this might be getting overly philosophical, but maybe we as the creators of art are like parents who must eventually let go of their children and let them stand on their own. Perhaps the creation of art should really be about letting others find their own meaning. I must be really tired. I'm not making sense to myself.

YEAH!!!! Isn't 4.57 cool?!?!?!?!? We started at 20 seconds. The first video is just about at 1000 views. Of course 900 of those are me. But, do you have any idea how much work it is to sit and click a mouse 900 times?
Ken

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I have come to the same conclusion about art myself: most people will find their own meaning, some people are totally unable to but maybe they just need to think a bit more. No matter how tired you are, you are certainly making sense.

You know, 4.57 is better than I can do. I must admit though, that this is partly for two reasons: the first is that the only place in this house that I can find the space is in my studio which is always cluttered. There is the front path, but it is on a rather more than slight incline and it would be cheating if I did it going downhill! The second reason is that I am concentrating on getting back my former gliding pace. That's my excuse, anyway.

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Peer Pressure ........

We have done walks in hotel corridors. Kim did draw the line at me taking the camera to Sriram's. Though, I seriously think he'd give it a nod and a smile.

So, 4.57 from 20.24 in about a year and a half. Fampradine can't match that. So even if you don't agree with the idea of bacterial association with MS.....

Isn't walking better alone a worthwhile benefit? Isn't it?
Ken

notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

A new walk has been added.

Kim's been doing this for 2 years now. She's made tremendous progress and recovered abilities previously thought to be forever lost. You can see my thread in the antibiotics forum if you want to know more about Kim's becoming moreabled.

After 2 years Kim feels that it's time to shake things up. While we might normally think of "stabilized" as a good thing, Kim feels there is more improvement to be had. Her walk speed is leveling out and Kim wants to get on a bike again. So here's what we're looking to do:

1) Add LDN to CAP
2) Change from Flagyl to Tini
3) Add Wii Fit as an available exercise approach
4) Review the list of supplements Kim takes

Ken