Stanford vs UCSF?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
JackStraw

Stanford vs UCSF?

Post by JackStraw »

Hello and good day, - I was wondering for my newly diagnosed wife which facility - Stanford or UCSF, folks seem to feel is better? Perhaps some areas of competency in each facility are better than others, but as immediate needs are clinical confirmation including staging, prognosis, and recommended treatment protocols, any preference as it pertains to those would be most appreciated. (Our local Neuro options can only be charitably described as limited.)

Thanks again - its the beginning of a long journey I realize.
Rose2
Family Elder

Location?

Post by Rose2 »

Which hospital do you live closer to? or with traffic, easier to get to? Trips can be exhausting,
I go to Stanford because I was transferred there from another hospital for diagnosis. I am very happy with quality of care.

UCSF has an excellent reputation with MS also and I know several people who are very happy with the care and research there.
You are lucky to have 2 such good chioces.
Rose
ScutFarkus
Family Member

I picked UCSF

Post by ScutFarkus »

I know this is a relatively old thread, but since I went through the same decision process last summer, and others may search for this topic again, I figure it's worth replying.

I chose UCSF, even though Stanford is much closer to my home and work (Stanford is a 30-minute drive, versus about an hour for UCSF). I picked UCSF because my local neurologist strongly recommended it over Stanford, and because my own research indicated that UCSF seems to have a stronger reputation. One metric I used for comparison was to search PubMed to see who was doing research and publishing results on Multiple Sclerosis. UCSF dominates in this area.

That said, I have gone to Stanford for other medical care, and I've always been happy. So I don't think Stanford is bad, just not as strong for MS specifically.

/Scut

Return to “General Discussion”