Melatonin?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jam
Family Member

Melatonin?

Post by jam »

I have heard melatonin can help with sleep - any advice?

Thanks

Jam
wonky1
Family Elder

Post by wonky1 »

I tried melatonin.
This is what I found from experience and exhaustive googling.
less is more, only dissolve about 0.5 mg under your tongue and it works.
If you take 3mg which is the usual pill size it doesn't work.
If I take it 2 nights running it doesn't work.
But for occasional use it's effective.
It is also an anti-oxidant that crosses the blood brain barrier.
melatonin is both a positive regulator of immune responses and
a negative regulator of inflammation
Do a google search for
M. SZCZEPANIK MELATONIN AND ITS INFLUENCE ON IMMUNE SYSTEM
It's very interesting.
jam
Family Member

Melatonin

Post by jam »

Thanks for the reply - I will try what you said.

Jam
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

3mg helps me and I take it every nite. I've had sleep problems forever. I've heard though that too much doesn't work, but 3mg works for me. I've never seen the kind that disolves under the tongue.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I have never used melatonin, but I have recently read (Psychology Today) that it is used by the body to establish "the body's internal night." The hormone, melatonin, is produced in the pineal gland and has a slowing effect on the nervous system. If the body fails to shut off production of melatonin in the morning or increases melatonin production (or supplements with too much???), depression may result.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you need tryptophan to make melatonin. tryptophan comes in high-protein foods. protein can be a problem in ms patients. the klenner protocol for ms specifies the need for a high protein diet and an associated minimum hemoglobin level: "16) Make certain that the hemoglobin is at least 13 grams."
www.whfoods.com: "Vitamin B6, vitamin C, folic acid and magnesium are necessary for the metabolization of tryptophan." 4 oz shrimp, cod, tuna, or snapper all provide more than 100% of a person's daily tryptophan requirement.

vitamin b12 - an important vitamin for ms patients - affects circadian rhythm, melatonin levels, and boosts REM sleep. if you take too much b12 in the morning, it can mess up your sleep-wake cycle. you have to take b12 midday or later if you are taking daily doses in the order of say, 2000mcg.

n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) deficiency (omega 3), another important factor for ms patients, also messes with your pineal function and sleep-wake rhythm

melatonin:
Melatonin is a hormone produced in the brain by the pineal gland, from the amino acid tryptophan. The synthesis and release of melatonin are stimulated by darkness and suppressed by light, suggesting the involvement of melatonin in circadian rhythm and regulation of diverse body functions. Levels of melatonin in the blood are highest prior to bedtime.

b12 (humans):
The light exposure phase-advanced the melatonin rhythm significantly in the VB12 trail, but not in the placebo. These findings indicate that VB12 enhances the light-induced phase-shift in the human circadian rhythm.

PUFA study (hamsters):
Several studies suggest that (n-3) PUFA may play a role in the regulation of cognitive functions, locomotor and exploratory activity, and affective disorders. Additionally, (n-3) PUFA affect pineal function, which is implicated in the sleep-wake rhythm... We suggest that an (n-3) PUFA-deficient diet lessens the melatonin rhythm, weakens endogenous functioning of the circadian clock, and plays a role in nocturnal sleep disturbances as described in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

HTH,
JL
Family Member

Post by Guest »

I take melatonin, 3 mg as needed. Helps me fall asleep and stay asleep for about 4 hours. My husband is taking 5 mg, but for him it looses it’s effect after using it 4-5 days in a row. They’re available in mint and fruit flavors as well.

Sweet dreams Jam
jam
Family Member

Melatonin

Post by jam »

Thanks for the info. I will take it on board.

Jam
stilltalking

Post by stilltalking »

Hi,

I have found Melatonin to be helpful on the nights where I can't seem to fall asleep. I works well but I find I need to take it two nights in a row for it to take effect. I find though, when I wake in the morning I am not as tired as I usually am.

I take a mint flavoured tablet that I insert under my tongue about an hour before I want to go to sleep. The Melatonin I take also contains Vitamin B12.

Good luck and hopefully, sweet dreams.......
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

To expand a little on the information from jimmylegs, I will share this passage from the book, The MS Solution by Kathryn R. Simpson, M.S.:
Melatonin -- Not Just for Sleep!

The pineal gland, located in the brain, makes the hormone melatonin. Melatonin's many important functions include regulating sleep and acting as a potent antioxidant, as well as regulating other hormonal effects. Pineal gland dysfunction and resulting low levels of melatonin have been strongly implicated in MS. Interestingly, as with many hormones, both abnormally high and abnormally low levels may cause problems.

Melatonin production is reduced in response to light hitting the eye -- with higher levels made in the dark. Some think that melatonin, not vitamin D, may be the answer to why people at higher latitudes are more prone to MS. Less sun results in too much melatonin, which in turn causes the thymus gland (which manages T cell immune activity) to allow autoimmune activity to develop. Animal studies show that constant darkness aggravates the symptoms of MS. Thus, higher levels of melatonin may be a catalyst to triggering MS, but low levels seem to cause worse disease progression. Studies show that when melatonin levels drop, it often triggers an exacerbation of MS symptoms.

One of the reasons why some scientists believe there is a link between melatonin levels and MS is that melatonin production declines rapidly just before puberty and MS starts after, possibly triggered by the drop. A study of teenagers who developed MS at puberty showed that they had significantly lower levels of melatonin at night. (1 ) This drop may cause a disruption in the immune system, resulting in increased susceptibility to infection and autoimmune activity. Another study showed that MS exacerbations lowered melatonin levels, and that's those with chronic progressive MS had even lower levels than those with relapsing-remitting MS. (19)

Melatonin can't be measured because it is only produced at night (unless a 24-hour urine test is done). Most of us have deficient levels after age 35 to 40 (and often even younger with MS) and can benefit from low levels of replacement. Melatonin can be purchased at most health food stores. It's important to get sublingual pills, if possible. This reduces the first-pass effect through the liver. Unfortunately, it is often sold in excessive dosages. I buy 2.5 mg sublingual pills and cut them in quarters so that I use 0.625 mg per night. Try not to exceed this dose, and try using even less first to see if you get benefit. It should also result in deeper, more restorative sleep. (Pages 148-149)