Does heat affect you?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Just_Me
Family Member

Does heat affect you?

Post by Just_Me »

:?:
LoveActually
Family Elder

Post by LoveActually »

YES!

Heat, hot showers and being under the blow dryer for too long. It's the symptom that prompted my GP to refer me to a neurologist.
October 29, 2009 - Dx with RRMS
June 22, 2010 - Dx's changed to Devic's (NMO)
January 4, 2011 - Dx w/Syringomyelia T4-T9, Migraines, and Possible MS (again - long story)
DM
Family Elder

Post by DM »

No. I love the heat. Hot n humid during the summer is my favourite. Hate the cold passionately. Freezin temps of winter, getting splashed in the swimming pool with coolish water, and cold showers.

Send me all the heat you hate!
Needled
Family Elder

Post by Needled »

I hate weather. Especially hate any kind of moisture. Rain, mist, humidity, ice, drizzle, snow. Cold tightens me up like a drum. I'm much better in the heat. My dream day is 75 degrees, dry, clear and sunny. We have exactly 4 of those days a year in New England. :roll:
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

The neuro (McNulty) asked me about it. I'd never thought about it as odd...aren't hot showers supposed to relax you anyway? But I guess wanting to take a nap after a morning shower is a little excessive. Also if I was doing anything physical in the heat I'd be wiped out while others would be going strong. Still just thought I was a wimp! 8O

Love Actually...have you gone thru a summer yet in Victorville?
LoveActually
Family Elder

Post by LoveActually »

Love Actually...have you gone thru a summer yet in Victorville?
Yes, two actually. We were stationed here in June 2008. For me, I get light headed, tunnel vision sets in and then I'll pass out if I don't cool off quick enough. Usually I take a seat when the tunnel vision sets in and then all is well.

I'm from Houston and the humid heat is just as bad as the dry heat here. I like hot showers but I have to take them quickly if I want to avoid being light headed. They do relax me to a point but there's just that little thing I have where the heat effects me in negative ways too.

How'd you like McNulty?
January 4, 2011 - Dx w/Syringomyelia T4-T9, Migraines, and Possible MS (again - long story)
Miss_Feisty
Family Member

Post by Miss_Feisty »

I can't tolerate heat at all. I get light headed after showers and feel the same about napping. If I'm already in a bad state, I shower at night so I can truly sleep after the fact. I use to work in a small office that was not temperature regulated, some days I thought for sure someone would need to pick me up after fainting.

Hot summer heat makes me break out in a rash and I get that fuzzy brain people speak of.
Mind you, I think my internal thermostat is off the wall because the cold winters bring on pain rather than a dizzy spell. It's a strange thing, but I find dressing cool and keeping a regulated cooler temp makes a huge difference.
:D
Boopieup
Family Member

Heat. Ick!

Post by Boopieup »

I am extremely heat sensitive.

My house has to be 69 degrees F or less at all times. I can't go outside in a wheelchair unless the temp. is the same.

I do much better in the winter. We don't heat our house in the winter. It can be 32 dregrees F outside at night and I'll have the window right next to my head wide open while my husband is bundled up in layers and blankets. The cats definitely don't appreciate the cold either. There I'll be just lovin' life. I can see much better and think much better when my head is cold.

Showers are horrible in the summer. I sit down anyway, but the water has to be barely warm. In the winter it's much better. My head gets wet with hot water and immediately gets cold because of the cold air in the house. I take longer showers in the winter. The summer I just want to get in and out.

If I get over-heated from whatever source, My vision becomes doubled and very blurry and I become color blind. I become extremely weak to where my torso will fall over when sitting. Transferring becomes impossible. I cry hysterically--did that at the GP's office last time. He keeps it way too warm in his office just for for the elderly patients. Boy, did he get an eye full of what an MS patient can go through. My hands and arms become weak.

Even eating a meal does the above but to a lesser degree. I can't eat any warm food in the summer.

I can't live on the coast because it isn't cold enough. I think I need to move to Alaska.
DX w/ RRMS 2004. Self DX PPMS. I don't sit here feeling sorry for myself; I just sit here. View my Blog--history and current events in my life at
http://boopieupsmsjourney.blogspot.com/
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

Wow that sounds truly awful :( I'm sitting here in a 70* house and my feet are freezing!

This f-ing disease is so frustrating because its so different for everybody...I have no idea what to expect.
LoveActually
Family Elder

Post by LoveActually »

I know how you feel. The thing that bugs me is that I don't know what to blame what on. Is it the MS? Is it just lifes little pain's? Do I have a cold?
Very frustrating.

BTW, I can't handle the heat but I hate to be cold. I keep my house at 78 year round.
JenniferF
Family Member

Post by JenniferF »

Yes. I can adapt to heat just fine; but without doubt it brings on symptoms. I try to shower at night so that I can start the day with maximally-functional limbs. Cold also makes the affected limbs worse, but in a slightly different way.

--> But those reactions are variations from whatever I'm used to. Ie this past spring, I was initially completely knocked out by the 'heat' - say, 80 degrees. But by midsummer, 90 was no problem. So it's more a matter of "more heat than my body is ready for" than any particular number.

I did find this summer that I did better in the desert than in humidity.

Jen.
Dejibo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Dejibo »

heat only bothers me when I am IN a flair, or headed at one. When I am not mid crisis, I LOVE my hot bath/showers. I love the sunshine, and working up a sweat. When i am IN crisis, or headed to a flair, I cant take doing the dishes, because of the hot water. the ironing knocks me down. I have gotten good at listening and taking it easy on me when I am heat intolerant in hopes of missing out on some of the rougher treatment given out by flairs.

One constant sx I have flair or no flair is the blindness that follows a good run. I love to run, and a few years ago noticed that as I got tired, and towards the end of my run, I would start to lose alot of vision. I dont go completely blind, its more like someone smeared vaseline on your glasses. I can tell you that is a large yellow object, probably a car, but cant tell you what kind of car, nor make out any sort of license plate. I can tell you its a person, but not which person. As I cool down, my vision is restored. My husband goes out with me, so I am not alone, but I have my route all mapped out, and live in a safe, quiet area. I am not afraid to go alone if I need or want to.