LDN in Australia

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
smyelin
Getting to Know You...

LDN in Australia

Post by smyelin »

Can anyone help me find out who will prescribe LDN in Australia ?

Thanks in advance

Smyelin
elaine
Family Member

Post by elaine »

hello smeylin
I am on Melbourne and have been trying to get hold of LDN for awhile no luck as yet
Elaine
noddlebean
Family Member

Brisbane

Post by noddlebean »

I have a script in my hot little hand for it but having trouble getting the pure LDN powder from my compound pharmacy. Its sitting on a dock somewhere waiting on paperwork. Just as well as its not life and death.

My doctor is fairly open I guess I just got the script from my GP - she couldn't see any harm in having it - its a pretty small dose anyway. Got to educte them I guess - I reckon try to get it from your neuro might prove harder - it goes against everything they push from the drug companies.

Jill
JoyceF
Family Elder

LDN in Australia...

Post by JoyceF »

Hi to my Aussie friends....you might try calling Roper & Parry's
02 6621 4000. They are compounding LDN and might be a good source for doctors there. Good luck.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

hi,

I am going to ask for LDN next time i see my doc. so i checked with a compounding pharmacy i have used before for something else before. They had never done LDN before, but saw no problem with crushing up a full dose tablet and dividing it into smaller doses and capsules for me (using the fast release filler Avicel).

The only problem she had was that she would have to charge me for the full pack of full dose Naltrexone, not only for the amount of Naltrexone she used to fill my script.

The pharmacy is based in Sydney:

Fresh Therapeutics Compounding Pharmacy
M102 Broadway Healthcare
Level 1, Broadway S/C, 1 Bay St.
Broadway, NSW 2007
Australia

PH: 0292816816
Web: www.freshtherapeutics.com (never visited the web site...)

I spoke to the chemist called Mai (Pronounced as May). If u are in another state, i would guess they could organise delivery to the dr, a chemist or somewhere.

As I said, i have used them before for other compounded medication, and they are a fairly physically large chemist with a large modern looking compounding lab, so they seem reputable.

best of luck
JoyceF
Family Elder

Revia tablets

Post by JoyceF »

Hi Obsure,
A lot of people are just buying the Revia tablets and mixing it up themselves in water. Instructions can be obtained at goodshape.net site. This way you pay for about a years supply up front. Is there no way they can just get the pure Naltrexone powder? That way there is no filler already in it. There is a filler in the Revia tablets. Not sure if that doesn't make the composition less accurate.
You might tell your compounder to give Roper & Parry a call to make sure of it all. This is way too important to guess at it. They do sound like they know what they are doing but why not be safe. Did she say how much a full pack of of full dose Naltrexone would be? I think they charge about $100.00 for 30, 50mg pills at www.medsmex.com. That is where many order them when they cannot get a doctor to prescribe it. Not ideal but hey, if I had to I would certainly go that route. Good luck to you. Let us know how you make out.
mez

LDN

Post by mez »

I've gone the 'Mexican Way' for ReVia with complete ease, after having no luck with GP or Neuro. It will cost you closer to A$150 delivered, but this will last you for approx. 466 doses at 3mg or 311 doses at 4.5mg. You get 28 50mg tablets in the box.

The most difficult part of the process was finding distilled water! In the end I found it at the local petrol station. I keep this in the fridge along with my jar of made up LDN (one tablet at a time for freshness). I bought an eye dropper at the chemist with ml amounts on the side. My jar is an old, but sterilized John West lemongrass jar, quite small. I think it is important to keep all your 'tools' meticulously clean.

See how you go. It would have been easier to have a script, but the benefits do outweigh any small inconvenience, in my opinion.

Mez
CureOrBust
Family Elder

import

Post by CureOrBust »

mez,

I notice u are in melbourne, and are mixing your own LDN. I thought that Naltrexone was a prescription only medication, and therefore would be restricted in being imported from mexico, into aus?

I dontr understand how are you importing a prescription only medication into australia?
mez

LDN

Post by mez »

Ahh, yes, but in Mexico you can buy it over the counter!! Basically the deal is you can purchase this drug online from a country that doesn't require a script if you are purchasing it for your own personal use, and basically buying one pack at a time; I guess the Mexican side would be curious if you were buying crates of the stuff, and I don't know if it would ever get though Oz customs!

I've got a years supply now (one pack) and will approach some GP's when this runs out (I have since been given some names of prescribing docs - pharmacies have been very helpful). But I would have no qualms about going this way again if I had to. Australia has its own online med sites that will supply Naltrexone without a script, too. I know of Europeans who purchase from these sites, but people in Oz are restricted from buying presribed meds from these sites. Bottom line is how comfortable you feel doing this. Medsmex is a reputable company with offices in the States. Check them out for yourself before you do anything else.

All the best
Mez
elaine
Family Member

Post by elaine »

Hi Mez
I think i am going to follow your footsteps and go the Mexican way.
What do I do when i get them how do I mix them??
thatnks Elaine
JoyceF
Family Elder

Homemade LDN instructions.

Post by JoyceF »

Here is what I have copied from people that do make their own LDN. Hope it helps you:

"Liquid LDN (Easiest): Acquire some ml measuring equipment from the baby section of a Drug Store and a small bottle with a screw-on cap. Put 50ml of water (distilled is best) and one 50mg "ReVia" Naltrexone tablet in the small bottle and let it dissolve with a little time and shaking. Now each ml of water in that small bottle contains 1 mg of Naltrexone. At bedtime shake the bottle, take a desired dose (no more than 4.5ml), chase it down with some water and store the small bottle in the refrigerator. Some people have reported splitting the tablet in half and dissolving it in 25ml of water to assure freshness every week.

Measured LDN (Harder): Acquire a $3 hand held pill pulverizor at Walmart and a bag of Darice Craft Designer 7mm PONY Beads 59cents from JoAnn Fabrics. Superglue one of these beads to end of a thin spatula, knife blade or flat toothpick and it becomes a good measuring spoon for powdered "ReVia" Naltrexone. A scoop of this powder, that leaves the top inside edge of the bead visible, contains 3mg of Naltrexone and a moderate (not heaping) scoop that covers the top bead edge contains 4.5mg of Naltrexone. At bedtime, you take one desired scoop of "ReVia" Naltrexone powder and put it in a 1oz jar with water, shake it up, drink it and chase it down with a little more water."
mez

LDN

Post by mez »

Hi Elaine, hope you are doing well. I'm pleased you are considering this.

I've done exactly as Joyce has posted. It is really easy. Naltrexone is water soluble therefore you can pop a 50mg tablet into your 50ml distilled water, shake it up a bit, then leave it for a few hours to mix in. Make sure you give the jar a good shake before you use it.

Send me a mail if you need any more info, happy to oblige.

All the best :P

Mez
elaine
Family Member

Post by elaine »

Thanks Joyce & Mez
it sounds alot easier than I thought it was going to be.I had all this images of being the nutty proffesor :lol:
thanks again Elaine
smyelin
Getting to Know You...

Post by smyelin »

Hi Elaine

Well ?? How did you go with your mexican order ? I think I'll be doing the same if my neuro knocks me back again.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

All in australia,

I checked the legallity of importing from overseas. From what I could find, under the "personal import" laws here in aus, it is irellevent if it is legal in the country of supply. You need a valid australian prescription for prescription medicines (schedule 4 or 8. does LDN come under these? i didnt check) to be imported by post; its different if you bring it with you on a plane. see http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/bringmed/persimp.htm

I also rang the TGA, who confirmed a prescription was required to bring prescription medication in by mail.

It would appear that those that have managed to get it in australia were lucky that customs did not search and confisgate it (and possibly prosecute as well...).

Personally, I would go doctor shopping with my medicare card untill I found a doctor who understood just how serious MS is, and how low risk LDN is. Or look further if naltrexone specifically comes under this law: call the TGA on 1800 020 653.

Good luck, whichever path you choose.