First dose

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
astro
Family Member

First dose

Post by astro »

My doc has prescribed LDN, 4.5 mg, which I will be starting tomorrow. I know everyone reacts differently, but what is the range of things I can expect in the first few doses? Is it better to take in the morning or night time? (I would prefer to take in the morning so I can see how I react.)

Thanks!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Re: First dose

Post by tzootsi »

ALWAYS take LDN just before bed time. It works while you are sleeping. 4.5 is the strongest dose recommended - it may give you some morning spacticity.
FLJhawk
Family Elder

Post by FLJhawk »

Maybe split a capsule in two for a few weeks before going to a full dose. You can do that by dissovling it in some water, maybe 20 ml or 2 oz or whatever. Pour 10 ml/ 1 oz into some juice and drink it before going to bed to get a 2.25 mg dose. You can gradually add more of the solution to your juice to increase the effective dose.

But, it should be ok to go directly with the 4.5 mg dose and see how you react. If you don't have major problems, you are good to go. If you do have issues, you can cut back to half and work your way up.
Barry
Family Member

Post by Barry »

I started LDN @ 1.5mg 2 days ago. I'm thinking that after a week or 2 I'll go to 3mg and see what happens. Does that make any sense?
I run a fun little forum site – www.CanadiansTalk.net – check it out. You don't have to be
a Canuck. :)
FLJhawk
Family Elder

Post by FLJhawk »

Makes perfect sense to me, though I started at 2 mg, then to 3 after a few weeks, then to 4 after a month. I think some of the vivid dreams are dying now. Kind of a shame, as they were pretty interesting. No nightmares, just strange dreams that were actually entertaining.
Barry
Family Member

Post by Barry »

Dare I say that after a week the 'fog' has lifted noticeably. I think I'll bump up to 3 mg for a week and see what happens. :smile:
I run a fun little forum site – www.CanadiansTalk.net – check it out. You don't have to be
FLJhawk
Family Elder

Post by FLJhawk »

Don't know if you should be able to see results from LDN this soon or not, but any improvement is good! Keep us informed.
Barry
Family Member

Post by Barry »

FLJhawk wrote:Don't know if you should be able to see results from LDN this soon or not, but any improvement is good! Keep us informed.
I've read anywhere from several days to several months to nothing happened. It just might be a freak of timing. I'm not about
to hang my hat on this but you're right - anything is better than nothing.
Barry
Family Member

Post by Barry »

So I'm a bit more than 2 weeks into this experiment. I'll be the first to admit that all of this might be a fluke of timing.

The fog is still there but has greatly reduced. My short term memory is much better. I'm more aware of the numbness in
my right arm and left leg. Balance is better - if I stand up and start going, it's about 2 steps behind me, so I stand up a wait
for a couple of seconds. I was on a ladder yesterday painting the garage door. No worries.

Last weekend I upped to 3 mg for 3 days and felt like crap. 1.5 mg seems to be my dose. I would be perfectly happy staying just
like right now. 6 months ago was no fun.

On the downside (?), time goes by much slower. That said, the house is spotless and the garden looks great.
FLJhawk
Family Elder

Post by FLJhawk »

Some advise to keep upping the dose until you get to the magical 4.5 mg, even though the side effects might be uncomfortable for a while. But, if after a month you are still doing bad, then to drop back.

I saw, too, where someone said to skip a day every few weeks. I skipped two nights and today feel like #*$&. I really don't know if it is due to a withdrawl or just normal MS symptoms. I had been feeling fairly good over the last week, so I don't know.

And, I will continue to say, I don't really know if anyone knows that much about LDN on MS. There are people who say things about it but are just repeating what they heard somewhere (as I am doing), and no one may really know. We just have to experiment and try to draw our own conclusions.
Barry
Family Member

Post by Barry »

I'm a month into this LDN experiment. The brain fog has cleared up. A lot. Quite often I
find myself feeling almost old normal. My balance is much better in that I don't have to
think about going up and down stairs or hold onto the wall in the shower. The things
we take for granted, eh....

I find that sitting for any amount of time makes me feel foggier so I spend lots of
time in the garden or in my workshop.

A couple of weeks ago, I doubled the dose from 1.5mg to 3 and felt like crap – the fog
came back big time. So I went back to 1.5. I'm thinking about trying 4.5 over a couple of days just for fun.

What could go wrong? :)
Barry
Family Member

Post by Barry »

Well, I went with 4.5mg for 3 days. I didn't feel as bad as I did at 3mg but was much more foggy. I'm back to 1.5mg for the
time being. I'm not sure if it's smart to keep playing with the dose or not anymore?
Nicolaus9

Post by Nicolaus9 »

How are you doing, Barry? Are you still on LDN?