how to calculate the LDN dose?

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
mspatient1980

how to calculate the LDN dose?

Post by mspatient1980 »

i ve read that correct dose may vary in the interval 1.5-4.5 mg per day. how can i calculate the right dose? does it depend on some analysis?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: how to calculate the LDN dose?

Post by AntonioBR »

mspatient1980 wrote:i ve read that correct dose may vary in the interval 1.5-4.5 mg per day. how can i calculate the right dose? does it depend on some analysis?
Hi mspatient1980,

Generally, the dose for MS is between 3 mg and 4.5mg. My brother is taking 4.5mg.

However, Dr. Thomas Cowan that prescribes LDN for almost 30 years give an excellent recommendation:

Cowan typically starts patients out at 1.5 mg for two weeks. Sensitive people, such as those with thyroid problems, may start as low as 1 mg per day, but as a general rule, doses lower than 1.5 mg/day tend to be ineffective for most adults.

If there's a positive effect, the patient will stay on that dose. If there's no effect, the dose is increased to 3 mg per day. If there's a negative effect, the dose is decreased.

If there's a positive effect at 3 mg, stay on that dose. If there's still no effect, raise it to 4.5 mg, and if there's a negative effect, decrease the dose. That said, the key to LDN is the low dose. So many times you may actually need to lower the dose if you don't notice a beneficial effect.

"If you gave somebody 2.5 mg and it didn't work, lower the dose. You gave him 1.5 mg and it didn't work, give it every other day," Cowan says. "Because the principle is it's the rebound that's the positive effect, not the drug. With normal drugs, if it doesn't work you give more, but here, it's the opposite."

You can read the article with a lot of information here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... 1555398256

Other good website: http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/ldn_and_ms.htm