scientists make MS breakthrough

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Nermil1975

scientists make MS breakthrough

Post by Nermil1975 »

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090824/tu ... 23e80.html

I saw this article today. It suggests that galanin is resistant to MS. I've read previously that studies looking at the use of naltrexone for treatment of alcoholism and opiate addiction implicated galanin in the effectiveness of the treatment. Galanin is involved in morphine withdrawal and other opiates. I've read that decreased levels of galanin increases the severity of withdrawal symptoms from morophine. I've also read that naltrexone effects galanin production but am not clear if it increases or decreases it. Some studies seem to suggest one and others the opposite. I am not a scientist or medical professional. But this stuck with me. I wonder if naltrexone is effecting our galanin levels which in turn is why an opiate blocker (which should have NO effect on MS) is being hailed by so many of us as a god send.

Galanin is a according to Wikipedia an amino acid and "...is involved in a number of physiological processes such as regulation of food intake, metabolism and reproduction, regulation of neurotransmitter and hormone release, nociception, intestinal contraction and secretion"

Does anyone know more about this?