The cost of your Tysabri infusion?

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
m0lasses

Re: The cost of your Tysabri infusion?

Post by m0lasses »

A little over 22K here counting the infusion center charge.
judipom
Family Member

Post by judipom »

my cost at duke univ. hospitals is 20,850.00 per infusion. the cost for facility is 662.00
when i mentioned this to my neuro at duke, he said that his understanding was that tysabri cost around 40k per year.

i am getting my 4th infusion right now and typing with one hand. another day, another 20k
RRMS Diagnosed 1997
My house burned down, now I can see the moon.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

judipom wrote:my cost at duke univ. hospitals is 20,850.00 per infusion. the cost for facility is 662.00
when i mentioned this to my neuro at duke, he said that his understanding was that tysabri cost around 40k per year.

i am getting my 4th infusion right now and typing with one hand. another day, another 20k
I would like someone to please justify this ludicrous charge for a drug that has about 40% efficacy!!!
sarahannmoss

Post by sarahannmoss »

I receive my Tysabri infusions from a Centura Health facility in SW Colorado (Mercy Regional Medical Center). I have been told costs are higher in rural areas such as mine. However, beginning in Nov 2016 my insurance company Anthem BCBS - Federal Employees was billed $26,600 for a single monthly infusion, a $8,000 jump from October. I read Biogen raised prices by 5% in Nov and would be raising prices an additional 3% in Dec 2017. The plan allowance from BCBS is $20,950. At that rate my insurance company pays out $251,400 per year for my treatment. A far cry from the wholesale price of the drug itself. I have yet to receive a 2017 statement. Centura Health and Anthem BCBS were in negotiations for accepted reimbursement fees and there was a chance I would no longer be able to receive treatment at a Centura facility. They have since reached agreement, thank goodness.

So who is making the big $ ? Drug companies, insurance companies, hospitals?? It's all a bit confusing.
sarahannmoss

Post by sarahannmoss »

I must comment on how effective this drug has been for me. Since receiving Tysabri 3 years ago I have had no new brain lesions or flares. I have Secondary Progressive MS and as a result, my walking ability has seen a slow decline. However, this has been a huge improvement over Avonex, which I started on. With Avonex I had several new lesions and symptomatic flares, as well as flu-like symptoms 3-4 days per week.
sarah123

Post by sarah123 »

I live in Canada and my insurance company is charged $3800 CAD each infusion - for a total of 13 infusions per year at approximately $50000 CAD a year (that's about $37000 US)
Sebastiann

Post by Sebastiann »

Hi all

My wife was diagnosed with MS 10years ago, and she has a monthly infusion plan wih Tysbari in Poland were we live right now, it is fully covered by National Health System.

Probably I will be transfered from my current job to NYC branch next year and that makes a lot of questions how the whole insurance system works etc.

We are wondering is there any insurance plans for people with various chronic diseases. What is cost of full monthly treatment for Tysabri ?

If we move to NY, I know that we will have pretty good insurance paid by my company but we don't know if tysabri treatment is usually paid fully by the insurer or there's some copay eg: 10% or something like that.

How does it usually work with medical treatment in NY with any insurance plans? it's pretty hard to find it on web beacuse it is different for each state.

Sorry for being pain in the neck but any info about how it works in a real life will be helpful :)

Thank you

Stay strong!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Sebastiann,
I can't answer your question except to suggest that you get things setup in advance of your move with your employer and your wife's doctor.