Tysabri drug holiday in multiple sclerosis poorly tolerated

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Tysabri drug holiday in multiple sclerosis poorly tolerated

Post by MSUK »

Abstract

It has been suggested that natalizumab-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy may be prevented by structured interruptions of treatment.

Evidence supporting such a drug holiday is not yet available.

Here we present initial observations in 10 multiple sclerosis patients who were stringently monitored up to 6 months after discontinuation of the infusions.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1768
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
BrianH

Post by BrianH »

My neuro took me off Tysabri for 6 months and switched me to rebif. During those 6 months I went from 0 active lessions to 12. After he saw that MRI he immedietely gave me the option to go back to Tysabri which I agreed to. I'm sorry but the small chance of PML greatly outweighs what will happen to me without it.

I had another MRI last month after 5 months of being back on Tysabri. Once again I am back to 0 active lessions. There is no question in my mind that I will continue Tysabri, the risk is worth the reward to me. I got an infusion today which I believe is my 32nd.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Thanks for reporting this Brian, Its always good to know what is happening with others and their treatment.
tejana971

Getting off Tysabri

Post by tejana971 »

Hello! I have been on Tysabri for almost 2 years now. It is the only medication that has stopped my flares and my MRI's remain stable with no new or active lesions. I would love to get off cuz am tired of being on so many meds but am very afraid as it has helped me so much! Any suggestions?
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

I have been off Tysabri for 7+ months with no problem yet!!

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.