Tysabri may reduce axonal damage

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
bromley
Family Elder

Tysabri may reduce axonal damage

Post by bromley »

Note: please keep this quiet - I don't want Harry Z to find out as it may spoil his Christmas!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2115 ... t=Abstract
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Tysabri may reduce axonal damage

Post by HarryZ »

bromley wrote:Note: please keep this quiet - I don't want Harry Z to find out as it may spoil his Christmas!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2115 ... t=Abstract
It would take a lot more than this information to spoil my Christmas :-) And it doesn't matter how quiet you are, Harry Z will hear :-)

Tysabri has a dramatic effect on a patient's immune system so it isn't surprising that we are seeing this kind of result. Other powerful drugs (usually cancer fighting medications used on MS) also show similar kinds of results and we often hear of how those drugs have helped MS patients over a period of time. But the length of time and amount of the drug that the patient takes is often limited and there can be nasty side effects. So far, over the long haul, these drugs have little effect on the progression of the disease.

Do some patients go into a remission? Yes. Do some remain the same? Yes. Do some become worse? Yes. These kind of results have been going on for years with the various drugs and little has changed.

The biggest concern with Tysabri, as we all know, is the continually rise in risk of getting PML the longer one is on the drug. Biogen continues to tell us that the overall risk is still at 1/1000 but that has grown to double for patients on the drug over two years. So again, it boils down to benefit vs risk in choosing Tysabri or any other MS medication. At the same time, the oral drugs are becoming available but they too aren't without some side effects that increase the rate of infections. Talk about a difficult situation in trying to choose which drug to take.

It's too bad that some of the money still being spent on drug research is diverted to research on CCSVI. But that is a whole new discussion!

Have a great holiday season.

Harry
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Lyon wrote:Doesn't Harry own stock in Tysabri? I'd swear he's the one who got me in the habit of putting a spoonful in my tea?
Bob,

The day you hear that I have stock in Biogen (Tysabri) please send the guys in the white jackets to take me away, lock the door and throw away the key. :wink:

Have Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Harry
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Lyon wrote:I'd swear he's the one who got me in the habit of putting a spoonful in my tea?
Antibodies, being composed of protein, would likely just get digested and wouldn't do much. How about some worms instead?

NHE
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
concerned

Post by concerned »

Lyon wrote:
HarryZ wrote:
I hope that you and your family also have a wonderful Christmas and 2012....my doesn't time go by fast? I remember 2000 like yesterday. Was that REALLY 12 years ago?
Am I missing something here?
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

As we all are retarded somehow in Asia; I'll say Happy 2011; I'll see you all in a year or so with Great News I hope!!

Cheers, Peace and Love among us... :)

Algis
concerned

Post by concerned »

Lyon wrote:
concerned wrote:
Lyon wrote:
Am I missing something here?
I don't think I enjoy anything more than trying to get under Harry's skin. Then again, I've known him for a long time and he's a good guy and a friend....although it probably doesn't outwardly seem that way to others.
I was just wondering about the 2012 thing.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

I enjoy anything more than trying to get under Harry's skin.
Bob,

That skin has grown very thick in the past 10 years so it's almost immune to most darts thrown at me these days.

:D

Harry
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
concerned

Post by concerned »

Lyon wrote:
concerned wrote: I was just wondering about the 2012 thing.
Damned skeptics would have to notice that! :lol: :oops:

At this point I can't say whether that was a typo or a brain fart because I hadn't noticed doing it until you mentioned it. Even then it took me a minute to figure out what you were getting at....
'

I guess that's partially my fault. I really goofed on the quoting it seems.