Tysabri-associated PML in MS: better survival rates

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Tysabri-associated PML in MS: better survival rates

Post by MSUK »

Tysabri-associated PML in MS: better survival rates than other patient types

A follow-up study of 35 MS patients with Tysabri-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy provides a somewhat encouraging survival rate of about 70%.

This percentage is more than twice the quoted survival rate of other patient types with PML (eg, those with HIV infection or following transplantation), and the authors speculate that the improved survival in Tysabri-related cases may be due (partially) to the ability to reconstitute the immune system more easily in these cases.

Factors that appear ... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1768
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Is this for good or for bad? Am I the only one who wouldn't want to survive after getting PML?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

sou wrote:Is this for good or for bad? Am I the only one who wouldn't want to survive after getting PML?
I'm with you, sou.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Tysabri-associated PML in MS: better survival rates

Post by HarryZ »

The authors, 3 of whom work for Biogen Idec, the maker of Tysabri, admit that one major deficiency of their follow-up report is the lack of long-term data.
The study was done to try and improve the marketing/sales of Tysabri. Ever since the drug was first approved, Biogen has continually tried to minimize the danger of PML. After all, PML risk is bad for sales and with the orals starting to appear. the competition noose is tightening.

Harry