159 cases of PML with 29 deaths for Tysabri MS patients

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
LR1234
Family Elder

Re: 159 cases of PML with 29 deaths for Tysabri MS patients

Post by LR1234 »

If I thought this drug actually worked I would consider it despite the risks but the fact it may or may not work and it doesn't seem to prevent the illness from progressing enough (for my liking) I daren't take it.
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

HarryZ wrote:...Don't know if there are any more deaths included in this new number.
Yes, one more death increased the number up to 39...
MSUK
Family Elder

193 PML cases and one more death in Tysabri MS patients

Post by MSUK »

Biogen have released the figures for December for cases of PML and deaths caused by it in Tysabri patients with MS.

As of December 1, 2011, there have been 193 PML cases, of which 112 have been in the European Economic Area (EEA), 71 in the US and 10 in rest of world (ROW).
39 of the 193 patients with PML have died.

In 45 natalizumab-treated MS patients who developed PML and in whom serum samples were available 6-187 months prior to the onset of PML, all 45 patients had anti-JCV antibodies detected.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1905
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: 193 PML cases and one more death in Tysabri MS patients

Post by NHE »

squiffy2 wrote:As of December 1, 2011, there have been 193 PML cases, of which 112 have been in the European Economic Area (EEA), 71 in the US and 10 in rest of world (ROW). 39 of the 193 patients with PML have died.
That leaves 154 patients with PML that didn't die. These folks have roughly an 87% chance of becoming moderately to severely disabled from the PML.
[color=blue]RuSmolikova[/color] wrote:Among 38 patients with Karnofsky performance ratings by their physicians at least six months after PML diagnosis, only five were in the "mild" disability category. Half were rated as moderately impaired, and 37% were severely disabled and required custodial care.

NHE
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: 193 PML cases and one more death in Tysabri MS patients

Post by HarryZ »

squiffy2 wrote:Image

Biogen have released the figures for December for cases of PML and deaths caused by it in Tysabri patients with MS.

As of December 1, 2011, there have been 193 PML cases, of which 112 have been in the European Economic Area (EEA), 71 in the US and 10 in rest of world (ROW).
39 of the 193 patients with PML have died.

In 45 natalizumab-treated MS patients who developed PML and in whom serum samples were available 6-187 months prior to the onset of PML, all 45 patients had anti-JCV antibodies detected.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1905
Has anyone seen if the risk ratio for Tysabri users getting PML has been changed by Biogen? Initially the risk on the label was shown at 1:1000 but a revision several months ago saw it up to about 1:500 after 2 years of use.
ariehs
Family Member

Post by ariehs »

With zero incidence of PML ion the 1st year and Canadian Medicare (screwed-up system) not offering to cover Fingolimod unless you've been on a certain number of other drugs for a certain amount of time, I'm trying Tysabri for a little while. So far the effects for me have been amazing.

Meanwhile, I know someone whose been on it for 17 months, but she's had NO help from it. If I were her, I'd have dropped it ages ago.

For me, though, I think I'll stay on Tysabri as long as I continue to test free of the JC virus. I'm feeling good, I'm walking so much better I've put my cane away, I'm exercising more energetically... With effects this good, it's worth a small risk.

Besides, who knows what another year will bring? Maybe by month 12 there will be a better option, or more information about a different treatment.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Meanwhile, I know someone whose been on it for 17 months, but she's had NO help from it. If I were her, I'd have dropped it ages ago.
Being on Tysabri for that length of time would have cost approx $ 65000-$ 70000 and that's a conservative estimate. And you say she is getting no benefit from using the drug!! It would be interesting to see why her neuro would keep her on the drug. Don't suppose the doc would be getting any kick backs for prescribing it? No, what am I thinking!!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

8 new cases of PML have been reported, bringing the total to 201. Don't know if any more deaths are involved. Perhaps RuSmolikova can provide additional info in that area.

Harry
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

3 more patients with PML have died (total 42)...
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

RuSmolikova wrote:3 more patients with PML have died (total 42)...
Tysabri's sales dropped in the 4th quarter of 2011 and also in January 2012. With efficacy at around 40%, (remember when we are told it was 67% during the clinical trials) the continuing increase of PML risk, monthly cost including infusion and the new orals on the market, it isn't surprising that this is happening.

Harry
dreddk
Family Elder

Post by dreddk »

Where was the 40% efficacy reported?
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

dreddk wrote:Where was the 40% efficacy reported?
This is one link but I have read similar reports in more detail on other sites which I have not recorded.

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1768

Harry
ariehs
Family Member

Post by ariehs »

HarryZ wrote:
Being on Tysabri for that length of time would have cost approx $ 65000-$ 70000 and that's a conservative estimate. And you say she is getting no benefit from using the drug!! It would be interesting to see why her neuro would keep her on the drug. Don't suppose the doc would be getting any kick backs for prescribing it? No, what am I thinking!!
In Quebec, if the drug is in the 'exceptions basket' - and tysabri is - you pay a maximum of $962 out of pocket after whatever insurance covers, and then the province covers the rest. She'd not paid more than $1,924 at that point. I don't know if she's still on it.
lena-g
Getting to Know You...

Post by lena-g »

Bad news again:

"As of March 5, 2013, there have been 343 confirmed cases of PML worldwide (121 in the US). 79 of 343 (23%) of the patients with PML have died.

As of December 31, 2012, approximately 112,200 patients have received natalizumab in the post-marketing setting worldwide".

http://chefarztfrau.de/?page_id=716
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

lena-g wrote:Bad news again:

"As of March 5, 2013, there have been 343 confirmed cases of PML worldwide (121 in the US). 79 of 343 (23%) of the patients with PML have died.

As of December 31, 2012, approximately 112,200 patients have received natalizumab in the post-marketing setting worldwide".

http://chefarztfrau.de/?page_id=716
It would be interesting to know if these 12 additional cases of PML from last month had been tested for the JC virus earlier. Despite Biogen's announcements that they are getting a handle on controlling PML with testing, the monthly increases continue to rise.

Harry