Multiple Sclerosis drug Tysabri 'reduces MS relapses'

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Multiple Sclerosis drug Tysabri 'reduces MS relapses'

Post by MSUK »

Patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) who took the new generation anti-inflammatory medication natalizumab for two years had a lower risk of experiencing relapses and progression of their disability, according to a new study.

MS experts say the research is useful because it confirms results from earlier trials.

Natalizumab (NTZ), which is also known by its brand name Tysabri, is recommended for use in the NHS for patients with severe relapsing-remitting MS which is deteriorating quickly. It is administered by intravenous infusion once a month.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1768
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Multiple Sclerosis drug Tysabri 'reduces MS relapses'

Post by HarryZ »

As usual, one has to read these press releases carefully.

Originally, Biogen/IDEC told us that the reduced risk of relapse was 68%. Now it is about 40%. Why such a huge drop in efficacy? Are Tysabri's numbers slowly reverting to that 33% level that the CRABs have?

Dr. Pucci, (a paid consultant of Biogen) states that the use of Tysabri for up to and just over 2 years is deemed safe with no major side effects. The Cochran Group (independent) says that they can't say for sure what the safety of Tysabri is because the trial data used only covers 2 years.

Based on Pucci's numbers, the PML risk is about 1:1000 but we have read that in the 2-3 year user group, it is about 1:500.

And the cost comparison of Ty vs the CRABs.....well, I won't go there after you add in the cost of the monthly infusion.

Harry
10yearsandstillkicken
Family Member

Post by 10yearsandstillkicken »

If all of the current drugs are 30+-% effective, are they doing anything at all? Might just be the variability of MS. Seems to be too much of a coincidence for all to have the same effectiveness. I guess all of the drugs could be targeting one aspect of how MS works its magic. My neurologist says they help and that his patients are not in the hospital as often as they were 15+ years ago. And so I guess every 4 weeks, it is the infusion center for me. That is a lot of money for maybe nothing but the chance for PML.
Chuck
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

10yearsandstillkicken wrote:If all of the current drugs are 30+-% effective, are they doing anything at all? Might just be the variability of MS. Seems to be too much of a coincidence for all to have the same effectiveness. I guess all of the drugs could be targeting one aspect of how MS works its magic. My neurologist says they help and that his patients are not in the hospital as often as they were 15+ years ago. And so I guess every 4 weeks, it is the infusion center for me. That is a lot of money for maybe nothing but the chance for PML.
For years I've felt that the immunse system altering drugs are a waste of time but that is my opinion. Until they find out what actually causes MS, we aren't likely to see any really effective treatment. In the meantime, the drug companies that make these medications are making one pile of money.

Harry