Tysabri long-term use anyone?

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Natali

Re: Tysabri long-term use anyone?

Post by Natali »

I have heard that the risk of pml seems to decrease after 3-4 years and wonder if there have been any studies about that.
my last research found no evidence after 5 years with tysabri. i know there were cases of PML after 4 years. The lady who got pml started tysabri with me in november 2008. she survived it but is still in germany not that well. all i know is that there is nothing in each one of us to determine the risk. each individual reacts differenlty i guess. if it is luck or not, i know not. If only they could determine something common in the patients who got it the rest of us would know. Previous treatments do interfere. in my case i had similar treatments like metoxandrone and cell cept. i think if we avoid the fear we win. and as i read on top, i guess i agree with the person who didnt want to check for the virus. we know how to control our bodies much better. but we always remain numbers for statistical data. what i know is that the 2002 people who began with it are ok, but i dont know how they dealt with PML.
odin1243

Post by odin1243 »

I have been on Tysabri since 2008. I have tested JC virus positive. My Neuro suggested I get my infusions very 8 weeks instead of four weeks to reduce my risk of getting PML. I have been doing that for a while now, and I'm doing well. I plan on staying on Tysabri and feel the benefits of being on Tysabri outweigh the risks.
I had tried Copaxone and Avonex before starting Tysabri but could not tolerate the side effects.
I am hoping I can continue to staying on it as long as possible.
sregelman

Post by sregelman »

I started treatment on Tysabri in 2005. I’ve been on it ever since, but I am only receiving injections bimonthly. I have had no new flares, but I have had one new lesion recently. and I’m JCV+ and not concerned about it.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

sregelman wrote:I started treatment on Tysabri in 2005. I’ve been on it ever since, but I am only receiving injections bimonthly. I have had no new flares, but I have had one new lesion recently. and I’m JCV+ and not concerned about it.
Welcome to ThisIsMS. It's good to hear that you're doing well. Have you had any changes in your physical status either good or bad?
odin1243

Post by odin1243 »

I have been on Tysabri since 2008. I am JC positive, but have elected to stay on Tysabri since I have been doing well. My neuro suggested I get my infusions every other month to reduce the risk of developing PML, so that's what I have been doing for a a little over a year. I feel the benefits of developing PML outweigh the risks.However, I do feel this is a very individual decision and one the patient should have the final say as to whether to continue on Tysabri.
odin1243

Post by odin1243 »

Thanks everyone who took the time to reply. My doctor recently contacted me to ask if I wanted to continue on the Tysabri. This was after I had some lab work and another test fo the JC virus. She reminded me that since I have been on Tysabri since 2008 my risk is now 1/100 and will continue to increase the longer I am on it. She also said there is not a lot of data available, as many people who test positive for the JC virus elect to discontinue the drug. It's pretty scary to hear that. I told the doctor that I would like to discuss this further when I have my next visit. I also mentioned my concern for relapses if I discontinue Tysabri, as well as concerns for risks of alternative medications. As I said previously, I have done well on Tysabri and I am reluctant to discontinue it. This is not an easy decision.
masterofpuppets101

Post by masterofpuppets101 »

If u r jcv negative , just continue on tysabri ,there is nothing powerful like it ,
If u r jcv positive , below 1 , try to take it over longer intervals ( 6 to 8 weeks )
Above jcv 1 , think about switching to a highly effective agent as ocrevus , mayzent