Chickenpox

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Researcher

Chickenpox

Post by Researcher »

I am very interested in MS and hopefully they will eventually find a cure. My brother was diagnosed at the age of 28. He has a very aggressive and debilitating case of MS. He can barely walk now at the age of 38. He took Avonex for awhile but has been on tysabri for about 5 or 6 years now. He has not had anymore flare up but his condition is not getting any better. it is getting worse but to a lessor degree so maybe the Tysabri is helping control flareup. He recently tested positive for JC virus so now there are added concerns. I was reading a bit about JC virus and had a question for all of you with MS.

Have you ever had chickenpox?
MomJ
Getting to Know You...

Re: Chickenpox

Post by MomJ »

Yes.. age 10
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Researcher wrote:

Have you ever had chickenpox?
Hi Researcher. I'm sorry to read about your brother and wish him well. Welcome to this site and feel free to make yourself at home and ask questions.

But first, in answer to your question about chickenpox, I did a quick google search and came up with this information:
Chickenpox is a highly infectious disease, usually associated with childhood. By adulthood, more than 95 percent of Americans have had chickenpox.
http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/22739/router.asp

And yes, I'm one of the 95% who had chicken pox as a child.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2021 Jan
Department of Public Health (Abouelyazid, Wassel), Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
Risk factors of multiple sclerosis in Aseer region, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia A case-control study
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33530046/

Abstract

Objectives: To investigate socio-demographic and environmental risk factors of multiple sclerosis (MS) in Aseer region, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).

Methods: This was a retrospective, record, and interview based matched case control study completed in the neurology clinics at tertiary hospitals in Aseer, KSA. It included 82 MS cases and 82 controls. The study used a structured questionnaire to collect information on key socio-demographic and environmental exposures. The main outcome measure was a statistically significant relationship of key socio-demographic and environmental risk factors with MS.

Results: A total of 82 registered patients, 50 were females, resulting in a female to male ratio of 1.56:1. Various risk factors were found to have a statistically significant association with MS which included female (OR=3.01, 95% CI [1.59:5.69]; p<0.001), family history of MS (OR=2.1, 95%CI [2.4:1.7] p=0.04), low exposure to sunlight (OR=2.02, 95%CI [2.53: 9.9] p<0.001), only fed breast milk in childhood (OR=0.46, 95%CI [0.55:0.39]; p<0.001), parental consanguinity (OR=2.17 95%CI [4.11:1.14] p=0.017), history of chickenpox (OR=15.59 95% CI [68.7:3.55]; p<0.01). On using multiple logistic regression, chicken pox infection (AOR=0.045, 95%CI [0.015-0.135]; p=0.001)and low sun-exposure (AOR=.271, 95%CI [.121-.609]; p<0.05) were deduced as the predictors of MS in this region.

Conclusion: This study offers unique insights into the risk factors of MS. Low sun exposure and childhood chickenpox are significantly related to the development of MS in the Aseer region.
https://www.eboro.cz

Return to “Tysabri (Antegren, Natalizumab)”