Sister just diagnosed with PML

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
lovemysis

Sister just diagnosed with PML

Post by lovemysis »

Hi!
My sister was just diagnosed with PML on Monday and I am just looking for another individuals who have gone through this! If anyone can point me in the right direction or has had PML and wouldn't mind sharing their experience it would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Sister just diagnosed with PML

Post by NHE »

Welcome to ThisIsMS. I'm sorry to read about your sister's PML diagnosis. What are the specifics regarding her case, e.g., how long was she on Tysabri and was she JCV positive? What other medications was she on or had been on? In the early days of understanding PML, it was believed that prior immunosuppressive drug use increased the risk of PML. However, now we see that the risk increases simply with the duration of Tysabri treatment. By the way, here's a similar thread to yours that you might find helpful.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tysabri-a ... 22222.html

NHE
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. Hopefully she is being diagnosed early and will make a good recovery.

There was some information posted in a similar thread which may be useful to you: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tysabri-a ... 22222.html

Assuming that your daughter has natalizumab associated PML, she will likely need immediate inpatient plasmapheresis and a consult with an infectious disease expert.
chowder1
Family Member

Post by chowder1 »

So sorry.

I hope she is doing ok. I don't know much about living with PML, but a woman that is on utube contracted PML. She used to make lots of videos about MS, but not so much after PML. I think her name is Angela. Just search PML on utube and you will find her. She's the reason I stopped Tysabri.

God luck to your sister!
FriscoTxMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by FriscoTxMS »

Would you be willing to share an update concerning your sister?
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

chowder1 wrote:So sorry.

I hope she is doing ok. I don't know much about living with PML, but a woman that is on utube contracted PML. She used to make lots of videos about MS, but not so much after PML. I think her name is Angela. Just search PML on utube and you will find her. She's the reason I stopped Tysabri.

God luck to your sister!
Here is the link to Angela's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/angelusa73?feature=watch