Lemtrada ‘a permanent therapy’ claims doctor

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Lemtrada ‘a permanent therapy’ claims doctor

Post by MSUK »

Speaking at the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers in Indianapolis, Indiana, Mr Samuel F. Hunter, MD, PhD, president of the Advanced Neurosciences Institute in Franklin, Tennessee, gave a presentation on outcomes in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS) treated with Lemtrada (alemtuzumab)......... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/lemtrada
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Lemtrada ‘a permanent therapy’ claims doctor

Post by CureOrBust »

In CARE-MS I, Lemtrada was significantly more effective than interferon beta-1a at reducing annualized relapse rates; the difference observed in slowing disability progression did not reach statistical significance. In CARE-MS II, Lemtrada was significantly more effective than interferon beta-1a at reducing annualized relapse rates, and accumulation of disability was significantly slowed in patients given Lemtrada vs. interferon beta-1a.
Can someone explain to me the difference between "slowing disability progression" and "accumulation of disability"? :? How can one reach statistical significance and the other not?
Anunymouse
Family Member

Post by Anunymouse »

I'm still trying to figure out why aubagio claims that begin 7% better than placebo is "significant".
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:
In CARE-MS I, Lemtrada was significantly more effective than interferon beta-1a at reducing annualized relapse rates; the difference observed in slowing disability progression did not reach statistical significance. In CARE-MS II, Lemtrada was significantly more effective than interferon beta-1a at reducing annualized relapse rates, and accumulation of disability was significantly slowed in patients given Lemtrada vs. interferon beta-1a.
Can someone explain to me the difference between "slowing disability progression" and "accumulation of disability"? :? How can one reach statistical significance and the other not?
They are discussing two different studies, CARE-MS I and CARE-MS II.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Ah, that learn me for skim reading.