Campath - retreatment after ITP the 1st time??!!

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Grumpster
Family Elder

Campath - retreatment after ITP the 1st time??!!

Post by Grumpster »

SO I was in the CARE MS trial and got the high dose for the full week. It was very effective for me neurologically, but after 6 months I got ITP, badly, and it was scary. I recovered after steroid treatments, but could not get the second treatment.

My MS has been progressing lately, mostly walking, balance, coordination, etc. My new Neuro suggests I take another dose of Campath, low dose for 3 days. I am not so sure 8O . However, I feel like my current trajectory is bad and I need to go something different. I have been on Copaxone since the ITP.

Has anyone else who developed ITP go on to receive more of that crap? If so how did it go?
Any comments / responses are most welcomed.

G
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Campath - retreatment after ITP the 1st time??!!

Post by ElliotB »

"I got ITP, badly, and it was scary."

Why would you want to try it again? There are perhaps other effective treatment options for you that you might want to consider at this time.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Thanks, like what? It seemed all the oral medications have some bizarre side effect of Their Own. I was thinking about taking Tec But that has PML risk, tysabri has the same PML risk. I tried to all the interferons. And campath is the only damn thing that seems to have had any beneficial effect on me.

It seems like it would either help me, or it would kill me, and either Choice seems better than doing nothing
SeanReynolds
Family Member

Post by SeanReynolds »

Hi Grumpster

Re the Campath treatment, can I ask a few questions?

Did they concomitantly prescribe a bunch of antibiotics and antivirals surrounding the time of the IV treatment? If so, what antibiotics were prescribed in particular?

I have some observations to make about more potentially successful treatment options than Campath.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

I was prescribed antihistamines and the antiviral used for herpes (valtrex?). I do not recall any antibiotics.

I may give the paleo diet a shot. Most foods and beverages I like are prohibited so that will be a challenge. I am kind of at wits end and still seriously considering taking more of that alemtuzamab / campath crap. :roll:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Grumpster wrote:I was prescribed antihistamines and the antiviral used for herpes (valtrex?). I do not recall any antibiotics.

I may give the paleo diet a shot. Most foods and beverages I like are prohibited so that will be a challenge. I am kind of at wits end and still seriously considering taking more of that alemtuzamab / campath crap. :roll:

This might be interesting news for people on Paleo diets. High animal protein diets were linked to a 400% increased cancer risk in people aged 50-65. They also experienced a 75% increase in mortality. The high animal protein diets also led to a 500% increase in diabetes mortality regardless of age.

Low protein intake is associated with a major reduction in IGF-1, cancer, and overall mortality in the 65 and younger but not older population.
Cell Metab. 2014 Mar 4;19(3):407-17.
  • Mice and humans with growth hormone receptor/IGF-1 deficiencies display major reductions in age-related diseases. Because protein restriction reduces GHR-IGF-1 activity, we examined links between protein intake and mortality. Respondents aged 50-65 reporting high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and a 4-fold increase in cancer death risk during the following 18 years. These associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived. Conversely, high protein intake was associated with reduced cancer and overall mortality in respondents over 65, but a 5-fold increase in diabetes mortality across all ages. Mouse studies confirmed the effect of high protein intake and GHR-IGF-1 signaling on the incidence and progression of breast and melanoma tumors, but also the detrimental effects of a low protein diet in the very old. These results suggest that low protein intake during middle age followed by moderate to high protein consumption in old adults may optimize healthspan and longevity.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

"These results suggest that low protein intake during middle age followed by moderate to high protein consumption in old adults may optimize healthspan and longevity."

Interesting, I doubt I will live another 20 years, longevity actually seems it may be a bad thing if I keep on the current trajectory. I just want to feel better for the time I am here, even if it is not that long.

Anyway, I guess no one has any experience with re-treatment after ITP. I figured as much. I may be the only one dumb or crazy enough to try it.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

I saw the hematologist yesterday and we discussed another round of Campath at the low dose. she was the same one that treated me when I got ITP last time. All my current blood work is normal, platelets at 245 which is high normal :) Anyway she said that she would not exclude taking more of the crap since it was so effective neurologically for me and I responded well when I got ITP. So I plan to take more soon. Wish me luck. I will update when I receive it.