Lithium for Progressive MS?

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
patientx
Family Elder

Lithium for Progressive MS?

Post by patientx »

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ ... sis&rank=1

I did a quick search to see why they would try Lithium on MS, and found this:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/181/1/338.short
And an interesting video:

(No need to point out that this was in EAE.)

Of course, lithium is a pretty serious psychotropic drug, so it's probably not a good idea to take this outside of the study.
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Interesting. Dr. Terry Wahls took 300 mg of lithium orotate twice daily (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769364/) and she did have a remarkable recovery.

Though I agree that lithium is a very serious substance and probably not to be taken without professional supervision.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

Question I want answered is why Terry Wahls took lithium. For her MS or a mood disorder? She is doing some clinical trial with MS patients re her food and electrical stimulation. I wonder if lithium is also be given to those patients if they are too truly replicate all that she did.
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Some studies suggest that lithium may increase a person's own stem cell levels. So, theoretically, lithium could be a way to stimulate the body's own healing mechanism.
Liberation
Family Elder

Re: Lithium for Progressive MS?

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Liberation wrote:
patientx wrote:http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ ... sis&rank=1

I did a quick search to see why they would try Lithium on MS, and found this:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/181/1/338.short
And an interesting video:

(No need to point out that this was in EAE.)

Of course, lithium is a pretty serious psychotropic drug, so it's probably not a good idea to take this outside of the study.
Are you sure? How serious? Lithium orotate can be bought otc and sold as a food suppliment. If it has a very serious side effect then something is really wrong with your food administration. Lithium carbonic is the one that is a prescription drug and used for depression. Terry used lithium orotate.
I wasn't very specific, and I am far from an expert on these drugs; but, Lithium is prescribed for bipolar disorder, which I consider a fairly serious condition, so I would assume the drug used to treat it can have serious effects.

But, your post prompted me to do some googling. The form of lithium prescribed for bipolar disorder is lithium carbonate and has a much higher concentration of elemental lithium than found in the otc supplement lithium orotate. Having said that, even this supplement can cause adverse effects:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18072162
Liberation
Family Elder

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ton
Family Member

Post by ton »

Lithium mау hеƖр peripheral nerves restore уουr health frοm injuries

A study found thаt behavior wіth thе common mood stabilizer lithium chloride rapidly recovered movement іn mice wіth paralyzed whiskers, аnԁ аƖѕο restored structures essential fοr thе rapid conduction οf nerve impulses, suggesting thаt lithium аnԁ similar drugs сουƖԁ potentially hеƖр treat nerve injuries.

Article #11-21367: “Lithium enhances remyelination οf peripheral nerves,” bу Joelle Makoukji et al.

MEDIA CONTACT: Charbel Massaad; University Paris Descartes, Paris, FRANCE; tel: +33-1-42-86-22-22; e-mail: Charbel.massaad@parisdescartes.fr
bonzo

Post by bonzo »

First, you cannot register for this site with MS Internet Explorer, you need Google Chrome.

I have Primary Progressive MS so I’m interested in any possibility of any cure.

For those who do not know about Lithium Orotate (everyone above), it has a low concentration of Lithium; about 4mg of Lithium for every 100mg of Lithium Orotate. It is not to be confused with the use of Lithium as a psychiatric drug (usually Lithium Carbonate) which uses far higher dosages of Lithium.

Dr Wahls was taking 300mg of Lithium Orotate during the first six months of her cure. Whether it did any good…

Lithium Orotate is not a drug for manic depressives and is usually sold as a supplement on Amazon and Ebay.

Having read her paper available on the net (‘Back from the Chair’), Dr Terry Wahls
took the following DAILY supplements:

200 mg B complex,
200 mg of Coenzyme Q 10
1 g of Alpha Lipoic Acid
600 mg of Acetyl L Carnitine
120 mg of Gingko
2 g of N Acetyl Cysteine
2 g of Taurine
2 g of Glutathione
200 mg of Resveratol
Lithium Orotate to yield 13 mg of elemental lithium (about 300mg of Lithium Orotate a day)

Also found somewhere:

‘Oral supplements such as Acetyl Glutathione, N Acetyl Cysteine, R-Alpha Lipoic Acid and Milk Thistle can have immense benefits when treating MS symptoms, reducing cellular damage and repairing damaged cells.’

Acetyl Glutathione looks interesting, but costs a fortune.

Good luck all MS sufferers.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

bonzo wrote:First, you cannot register for this site with MS Internet Explorer, you need Google Chrome.
Not true. I just confirmed that IE 8.06.x works fine. I've also had no problems using Firefox. I personally stay away from Google Chrome as Google is an advertising company.