Amiloride

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
Liberation
Family Elder

Amiloride

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Re: Amiloride

Post by Anonymoose »

I haven't tried it but it looks interesting. I wonder if it would have the same effect on muscle tension that clonidine does. This seems to fit with the osmotic demyelination idea.

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/43/5/952.short
Human Endothelium: Target for Aldosterone
Hans Oberleithner, Thomas Ludwig, Christoph Riethmüller, Uta Hillebrand, Lars Albermann, Claudia Schäfer, Victor Shahin, Hermann Schillers
+ Author Affiliations

From the Institute of Physiology II, Nanolab, University Münster, Germany.
Correspondence to Dr Hans Oberleithner, Institut für Physiologie, Robert-Koch-Str 27a, 48149 Münster, Germany. E-mail oberlei@uni-muenster.de
Abstract

Aldosterone has long been known to control water and electrolyte balance by acting on mineralocorticoid receptors in kidney. However, recent studies demonstrated the presence of these receptors in nonclassical locations, including the cardiovascular system. We tested the hypothesis whether endothelial cells respond to aldosterone with changes in cell volume, a measure for ion-mediated water movement across the cell membrane. By means of atomic force microscopy in fluid, we measured volume of adherent human umbilical venous endothelial cells exposed for 72 hours to 10 nmol/L aldosterone. Over this period of time, cells swell by ≈18%. Aldosterone-induced swelling is prevented by 100 nmol/L of the mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist spironolactone, added to the primary endothelial cell culture. Aldosterone-treated cells dramatically shrink when 1 μmol/L of the diuretic amiloride is applied. Cells deprived of aldosterone do not respond to amiloride. Our conclusions are: (1) aldosterone leads to sustained cell swelling inhibited by administration of spironolactone or the sodium channel blocker amiloride; (2) cells respond to amiloride after aldosterone exposure; (3) renal diuretics act on endothelial cells; and (4) both amiloride and spironolactone could be useful for medical applications to prevent aldosterone-mediated endothelial dysfunction.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I's be interested if it has the same effect on humans that it has on mice, so will be reading carefully if someone wants to try it?
Liberation
Family Elder

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

OK, now I will look into it a little more.

My GP is very understanding with me trying off label medication that he has prescribed before and is comfortable with its safety.
Liberation
Family Elder

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

:oops: nope...
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

As this is a sodium channel blocker it inhibits nerve conduction. I started taking this at the same time as switching to Gabapentin for night spasms. Both made my walking temporarily worse. I'm now going back on the baclofen so may resume amiloride as I'd love to block sodium and acid sensing channels...
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Neuro is writing letter for me this week to request script from gp.......gonna give it a go, will keep u posted.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Started this today 10mg dose.

Left eye affected by neuropathy still fairly bad about 80% vision. I can see but reading is hard as there are white stripes through everything and black shadows over faces:(
Other than a slight muscle issue in that eye, ongoing numbness and some cog fog from cognitive relapse abd fatigue attacks I am ok.
Will keep u posted x
Liberation
Family Elder

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Well I took 10mg yesterday and it messed up my tummy big time!! I also felt a bit dizzy.
I am ultra sensitive to meds though and have lowered to 5mg for the time being.
Last edited by LR1234 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
reallyreally
Family Member

Re: Amiloride trial

Post by reallyreally »

A clinical trial is starting in UK also.

Now, after reviewing published data on drug treatments that might help protect nerves in the brain, UK researchers are focusing on three drugs that are licensed for other conditions.

From BBC News
"MS hope from 'off-the-shelf' drugs"

About 500 people with late-stage MS are to enroll in clinical trials in England and Scotland to see if three common drugs can slow disease progression.The three drugs are amiloride - currently licensed to treat heart disease and high blood pressure; ibudilast - an asthma drug used in Japan - ; and riluzole, the sole treatment for motor neurone disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23327835
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I think that's why the neuros here are prescribing it
I'm on 5mg now and no issues:)
Last edited by LR1234 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drug Pipeline”