BG 12

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
TeresaL
Family Member

BG 12

Post by TeresaL »

My ins won't cover tecfidera, I found a compounding pharm where I can get 115 mg Di methyl fumarate for 150.00 per month
Tec would cost 11,000 per month.......they are proud of it....lol
I started it 3 days ago, feeling very tired...is this common when first started? I will keep pushing forward. I was on BG 12 yrs ago before tec came out. I don't remember the tiredness. But I have been taking sleeping meds this wk for insomnia
Thanks for the help/input. Teresa
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: BG 12

Post by NHE »

Tecfidera comes in delayed-release capsules. Is your compounding pharmacy's version the same? This could account for the differences in the side effects.
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Mine isn't delayed release, when I was on the BG12 yrs ago ..again not delayed release...I don't reb ember this problem.
Is it Ok to take glutathione w tec, Dimethyl fumarate?

Dimethyl fumarate is the active ingredient, did big pharm make it delayed release so they could patent it?
Thanks
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

TeresaL wrote:Mine isn't delayed release, when I was on the BG12 yrs ago ..again not delayed release...I don't remember this problem.
Is it Ok to take glutathione w tec, Dimethyl fumarate?
Dimethyl fumarate is a strong oxidant that's active against thiol groups. Glutathione is an antioxidant who's activity as an antioxidant is via its thiol group. Taking the two together could conceivably inactivate both to some extent.
TeresaL wrote:Dimethyl fumarate is the active ingredient, did big pharm make it delayed release so they could patent it?
The delayed release activity could be present in Tecfidera so that it passes through the stomach before the capsule opens thereby minimizing the negative side effects on the stomach.

You might wish to read the prescribing information for Tecfidera if you haven't already.
http://www.tecfidera.com/pdfs/full-prescribing-info.pdf
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

From what I have read re BG 12, tecfidera or dimethyl fumarate ....all have the same active ingredient. Tecfidera is coated, delayed release to help w stomach problems. BG 12 isn't delayed release but yet helped MS patients. Maybe the delaying ingredient is what is causing the stomach issues in patients.

Return to “Drug Pipeline”