Are you on the clinical trial FTY 720

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
Astrid

Are you on the clinical trial FTY 720

Post by Astrid »

Hi,

My husband is on the clinical trial for the FTY720 (he is PPMS).
He started January 14 2009. (The Netherlands)
The dosis was 1,25 mg, but today they told us de new dosis will be 0,75 mg.
Does anyone know if there is a reason for that?
My husband, Rob, has PPMS, diagnosed august 2006, EDSS score 5.0. He is on the new FTY 720 trial, phase III since January 2009. We are from The Netherlands
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Astrid, there has been some discussion here about this trial. It appears that the 0.5 mg dose is just as effective as the 1.25 mg dose for RRMS patients, and the side-effect profile is better, so Novartis is moving to the lower dose to enhance safety, I think. Here are the threads where it has been discussed:

Thread specifically about PPMS study: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-57604.html

Thread about latest fingolimod RRMS results: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-8306.html

Another thread about latest fingolimod RRMS results: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-69429.html
Smilingface
Family Elder

Halt!

Post by Smilingface »

Hi Astrid and others following the FTY 720 trial for PPMS,

I was contacted yesterday via e-mail by my neurologist's office and told that
Novartis has put a halt on screening any new participants for this trial globally. Wonder why?

I hope it is because the drug works and Novartis anticipates being able to get it on the market soon but.... realistically I realize it could be because they think it does not work for PPMS.

What do you think?
Primary Progressive, Onset 10 years ago at age 42, diagnosis 6 years ago, Vit D, Chinese Herbs, Exercise, yoga. So far tried antibiotics, fumaric acid and 4AP. Currently participant in the FTY720/PPMS Trial.<br />
Shayk
Family Elder

FTY 720 and Stroke

Post by Shayk »

Hi Smiling Face

I'm not really following FTY 720 for PPMS but am aware of this research brief and wonder if they might be re-grouping in light of CCSVI? It's a really wild guess.

Interleukin-17 and brain injury in stroke
T lymphocytes that collect at infarction zones within 24 h of a stroke have been suggested to have an important role in the progression of cerebral ischemia– reperfusion (i–r) injury

Use of FTY 720, an immunomodulatory prodrug, to block infiltration of T lymphocytes into the brains of mice just after the induction of the brain infarct reduced brain damage compared with controls.

‘‘…this could be the first successful therapy in the subacute phase of brain infarction after stroke’’

This study suggests several new potential therapeutic pathways that could help to reduce the secondary inflammation after stroke that promotes brain damage...
Take care

Sharon