Thanksgiving was a challange need ideas

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Thanksgiving was a challange need ideas

Post by stillfighting »

I will try to explain this situation, as it will sound insane( actually it maybe)

I have lived in the same place most of my adult life.. Now my brother and sister in law and his grown adult daughter and 3 children have moved in next door..to a large family home they own ( inheritance/divorce) thing.
They are all very into the natural thing.. no flu shots, no meds, let the fever do it's thing..
MS is not a disease it's the meds and dr's you should get away from.
Colds won't hurt you.. they will get your immune system right etc etc.
They are getting better but I am afraid I will be dead by the time they become educated.

I find out a mutual family member is coming in from about 1000 miles away...I get 2 hrs notice.......but they do want to see me. They youngest has a sore throat...
I am then called on Thanksgiving while its in the table and invited to Thanksgiving dinner. I had not cooked mine on Thanksgiving due to my DH had to work. They had to know I would not come over.. Sore throats in the house last minute notice . They know I don't get up and get dressed so to speak.
If its not one things its 20
SO the weather is pretty nice we chit chat in the yard a few minutes I did want to make presence and be nice, one of the children ask me to bake something ..I did and I did not mind one sec.........I took it over set it on the an end table rang the bell and left out.
The parents sent him over to my house to be sure and thank me in person.
WHAT DO THEY NOT GET.....................are people just stupid.
I am suppose to be starting Gilenya this month......they know this???
Help me I am considering spending money I don't have on a fence!what a mess. I really am speechless about this I have tried everything. It does not go through and If I really get into it.I am afraid all I will do is hurt the kids at this point.. They are not my kids but I don't know what to do I should add, they did say the sick kid.. it amounted to nothing .. he had gotten over that in nothing flat. Like a day and it was gone.. no one else got it.. ( I am thinking YET) and maybe to me what is little to them is not to me ( we have been through this I just got through with a round of medrol
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Stillfighting – HOW INCONSIDERATE!I have difficulty understanding people like those you are dealing with; my friends and family know that I CANNOT be exposed to colds, flu, germs of any kind.

I think you must establish your rules for exposure to any illness.Especially if this is a fairly new living arrangement, YOU must be firm and establish the ground rules. THEIR opinions and ways to handle health issues are wonderful for THEM; we can all respect their right to practice these ideas for THEMSELVES. They must learn that you have the same rights and you hold, for whatever reason, DIFFERENT ideas.

I would be tempted to take a couple days of "rest" about three days after EVERY time they knowingly exposed me to something. And I would make a big issue of the idea that THEY brought this on me. Maybe a little guilt piled on them would teach them to be more considerate around you.

This issue is important to me lately since I begin to believe that mucus (especially increased mucus with colds, allergies, etc.) promotes excess insulin secretion, which then initiates the MS cascade. So far, these are just MY ideas.

Good luck. And consider getting a flu shot.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

thank very much for the support. I got my flu shot as I do every yr. They think that is half my problem. The mercury and virus I have injected myself with.
If I get a cold, they say I am only having a reaction to the virus I got from the vaccine.
They don't however get the flu vaccine and will point out, they don't get the flu and it's a government experiment.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I realize that these people are YOUR family and have no connection to me; nevertheless, I find it hard to be patient and understanding with them.

Flu shots are made with dead virus, not LIVE. A person cannot get the flu from dead virus.

Many shots today are made without mercury; I asked the nurse about this when I got my last flu shot; she said that the office had expressly ordered shots WITHOUT mercury. I begin to doubt if these people next door to you have really researched these issues at all.

Colds CAN cause problems for some people. I think colds can cause serious problems for people with MS as well as many others.

Be firm and strong in the face of their beliefs. I believe they are wrong. I can tell already that you are a nicer person than I am – you are more patient than I would be. I hope you have a very supportive friend or husband right there with you; if not, you have me and many others on this website, I'm sure, who stand with you.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

Thanks, I am kind of speechless, as I go back and read what I typed and even as I was typing it.
I know it sounds insane, I know their thinking is very common.
I know many who will not get a flu shot, many will swear they get the flu from it.
Or that the only yr they ever got the vaccine they got the flu worse than ever.........."government going to get us all" is not a new thought and sometimes the big brother is watching is not as stupid as it seems.I must admit my kid and dh are getting tired of having their heads screamed off and I am nearly in a flare from the stress and strain. If I had the money I would move.
Can you believe I don't have a relationship with my other brothers and sisters.........I do not have the patients to deal with them.Can you say dysfunctional??
Yes, I have been to see a therapist, I don't think they ever got the family tree down.. I think they fell asleep. I am the youngest and I just don't blame my parents lol
stillfighting
Family Elder

If Thanksgivng was a challange Christmas was a nightmare

Post by stillfighting »

I am nearly too tired and drained to sit and type all the in's and out's.
My appt to start G was delayed until Jan 5th
Yes, they all came down with chest colds.... over the holidays..
I walked right in on it and they let me sit there and invited me to sit down and never warned me!!! I heard the cough ...........jumped said bye grabbed my GERM X.. let me add I have respiratory problems that they cannot DX it's a combo of ms or bronchial asthma.. Yes they know this.
Sometimes I have nearly been unable to speak.
Somewhere in the last month my brother has let me know that the hippocritic oath that a dr takes is an oath to Appollo( a greek God) Now, I of the Christian faith. so I go surfing the web and I do find this out, but that they have modernized it.
Or actually many schools don't even require it.
Yes, he and his wife do seem to feel "illness" is a sin or some thing like that a distance from God.. something and or all these pills are not the answers............. Jesus is the physician.. what the bible said........
I am to the point.. I can't stay close at all. I can keep a surface .. neighbor.. wave fake it. Birthday card ( go to therapy ) thing..
But I CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE.....................Have any of you ever had to deal with any one like this? P.S they look and sound pretty normal ( it takes them time.. really
Bender
Family Elder

Post by Bender »

Cut them off, and if they keep bothering you explain that they're idolaters who are inconsiderate and are probably going to hell for violating the 10 commandments (do I think it's any less BS than their bs, no, do I think it will make them go away... maybe)

also if they don't leave you alone start inviting people with the flu (you get vaccinated, might as well get some satisfaction out of it) over to their house with you for random stops by. Preferably the week before they have vacation plans (Plus, fucks up their vacation, downside, if they don't get the hint they're still near you)

seriously, if people are going to be totally obnoxious, Fuck 'em. No mercy for the stupid.
Bender
Family Elder

Post by Bender »

I feel like as a disclaimer I should qualify my statement with the fact that I'm not really on speaking terms with my family other than my mother, that said i have to make the disclaimer on that statement that they're mostly shmucks.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

Your reply was priceless. I did survive winter. They never really call anymore. We have been meeting outside do to warmer weather.
They still have grandkids in school and things are still civil.
How I don't know.. this whole relationship is a mystery to me.
My siblings are mysteries to me.. do you have any?

Return to “Friends and Family”