My mothers condition is drastically worsening. Need advice!

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
daughterofms

My mothers condition is drastically worsening. Need advice!

Post by daughterofms »

My mom has had MS for 27 years, since I was 1 year old. She is now completely debilitated and lives in a long term care facility. Although her disease has taken everything from her, she always stays positive and keeps strong. Recently, she's been struck with many different health issues at once and for the first time I truly fear for her life. She has a recurring blood clot in her upper thigh and her feet have become unusually swollen and blue. They are now sending her to a cardiologist clinic after testing her heart. Government cuts mean that she is no longer eligible for "one on one" physio sessions which concerns me greatly as she is not getting the physical activity she needs. How can I help with her circulation and preventing her symptoms for worsening and ultimately taking her life? I'm finding all the information on the internet overwhelming. Need advice on activities, diet, meds, natural therapies..etc.
ANYTHING. I've struggled to cope with my mom's illness over the years but the thought of actually losing her kills me inside and I want to do anything I can to stop it. I'm lost....
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: My mothers condition is drastically worsening. Need advi

Post by NHE »

Welcome to ThisIsMS. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's condition. It sounds like she is not getting much physical activity. You might want to recommend a Theracycle (see theracycle.com) to her and her caregivers. It looks like an exercise bike, but it has a motor to drive the pedals around. This will get her legs moving and should help with the circulatory issues. Perhaps you could get an order for this from the cardiologist. Personally, I've found a series of chiropractic treatments to help reduce swelling in my feet. However, many conventional doctors will likely be dismissive of chiropractic treatment.

NHE
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

daughterofms wrote:My mom has had MS for 27 years, since I was 1 year old. She is now completely debilitated and lives in a long term care facility. Although her disease has taken everything from her, she always stays positive and keeps strong. Recently, she's been struck with many different health issues at once and for the first time I truly fear for her life. She has a recurring blood clot in her upper thigh and her feet have become unusually swollen and blue. They are now sending her to a cardiologist clinic after testing her heart. Government cuts mean that she is no longer eligible for "one on one" physio sessions which concerns me greatly as she is not getting the physical activity she needs. How can I help with her circulation and preventing her symptoms for worsening and ultimately taking her life? I'm finding all the information on the internet overwhelming. Need advice on activities, diet, meds, natural therapies..etc.
ANYTHING. I've struggled to cope with my mom's illness over the years but the thought of actually losing her kills me inside and I want to do anything I can to stop it. I'm lost....
Welcome to ThisIsMS, daughterofms. I, too, am sorry to hear about your mother's condition.

Are the doctors sure that the swelling in her feet is caused by a blood clot? I have heard of a blood clot causing swelling in 1 foot/leg. It seems to me that it is a good idea for her to see a cardiologist. I have heard of a therapy, EECP, which can improve leg swelling and which is approved by the FDA and covered by Medicare and other insurance.

As for diet,… How much choice does she have in a long-term care facility? My greatest hope for a change in MS symptoms lies with diet. There are many suggestions here in the Diet forum; my personal recommendation is for a low-carb, no gluten (no wheat, barley, or rye – or grain, in general) diet. Most conventional doctors do not believe that diet will help.

You and your mom are in my prayers.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
daughterofms

Post by daughterofms »

Thank you for your responses. You're right she does not have much choice in diet but I can always bring her meals if she is not getting what she needs. She is already off greens due to the coumidan for her bloot clot. The swelling in both her feet definitely concerns me as it was only her right leg that was completely numb before. I will look into the chiropractic treatments although we don't really have access to that unless we take wheel trans to the clinics. I live in Canada btw. She has an appointment on Monday with the cardiologist...hoping for the best.

Thank you for your prayers
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

daughterofms wrote:The swelling in both her feet definitely concerns me as it was only her right leg that was completely numb before. I will look into the chiropractic treatments although we don't really have access to that unless we take wheel trans to the clinics.
Chiropractic treatment helped me. However, results from chiropractic care are likely highly variable. I suspect that if you sent 100 people to the same chiropractor that they might all report slightly different results. Send the same 100 people to different chiropractors and I doubt that there would be any reproducibility of the results.
avengr13
Getting to Know You...

Post by avengr13 »

You sound like a great daughter! I am quite sure that seeing you care so much is so important.
There are somethings you can do that were suggested above. Have you thought any about acupuncture. That has helped me immensely.
I help my husband keep circulation by massaging his feet. Makes me feel useful and helps him.
Do you have other family and friends to visit or give you a break?
I will be thinking of you! Let us know how things are.