Living with an MSer

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
friutloop

Living with an MSer

Post by friutloop »

Does MS impact on someone's personality? Im going crazy trying to guess how Im meant to behave with my sister (who has MS). One moment she's happy and social and then, no kidding, 5 seconds later she's possessed by the devil :evil: and we're all tiptoeing around the house. Someone please help! I think Im going mad! I really want to be supportive but everything I do seems to be wrong. :(
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Everything you do isn't wrong but next time she snaps I'd snap right back and don't tiptoe. She needs to see you treating her like normal. I cried to everyone at first that John seemed to hate me and we had always been best friends. He didn't hate me he just hated me looking at him different it made him feel a little less than whole. Sort of like a broken toy at Christmas. Your sister hasn't changed (nor has John) she just needs to deal with the cards she has been dealt and so do you. That's hard at first but you will be of no assistance if you let her suck you into the vortex of despair. So spit yourself out at the next spin and you will be available to haul her out too. Oh I forget STOP feeling guilty it's her and not you. I know I was there with my husband but really give your head a shake that helps nothing. Now take a deep breath and start all over. Welcome aboard
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
Fern
Family Member

Post by Fern »

The very best way to figure out the right answer is to try to communicate better with her. You may have no idea some of the thoughts swirling around in her head, and if you can draw those out from her, she may feel much better just having talked about it with you.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Your sister hasn't changed (nor has John)
It does change you
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day

Return to “Friends and Family”