need your help - How to cope with "issues" ?

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
wifehasMS
Getting to Know You...

need your help - How to cope with "issues" ?

Post by wifehasMS »

I originally posted this in the General Discussion, i guess it belongs here :)

To make a long story short, my wife has had MS for at least 13 years. She has suffered through many exacerbations and resulting solumedrol treatments. As her neuro says "She is a very sick woman with a great many lesions".

My problem is that she is currently in the condition of needing care for all her personal hygeine issues. I need to know if there is any tricks or methods that I could use to overcome becoming repulsed and sometimes physically sick when trying to help her with these "issues".

Right now she is staying at her Sister's and she is careing for her. But she cannot continue to do this forever and I want to be able to do this for my wife.

I'm assuming that others on this Forum must have had to deal with this, and I'm hoping that you could share any information and ideas with me.

it has taken a while for me to get to the point of posting this request. Please don't think your comments or info is too simple or stupid or anything else, just post it, it might be just the thing I need.

Thanks,
pinda
Family Member

Post by pinda »

Just saw your post. I'm not in your situation, I'm possible MS, but did help with parents care for awhile and this can be a difficult area for loved ones. We had some help in the mornings and evenings through the Gov't health services and did the best we could through out the day. I suggest you call the MS Society or support services in your area for info, help, suggestions. Both you and your wife need to be comfortable with what ever you do for each other. Do ask for help. Hope this helps, Linda
Lorin

Re: Wife's hygiene

Post by Lorin »

My mom use to do senior-care and hospice care. And my brother and I use to help out sometimes. I think I know what you mean about being "repulsed/physically sick" by dealing with "personal hygiene issues."

My brother use to sniff Vick's VapoRub. I personally preferred lavendar-scented oil. I've heard others have had good luck with candles (soy-based candles usually have stronger aromas, burn cleaner, and smell more when not lit).

Surprisingly, gloves may help as well. Removing one sense (touch) from the equation may move you a step away as well.

And, oh, my mom would hum goofy songs from the 1950s. Go figure.