Fiance with MS

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
AlPal

Fiance with MS

Post by AlPal »

Howdy folks!

I will soon be married! My soon-to-be wife doesn't like to discuss her RRMS. Luckily she is marrying an "expert" ;-) I like keeping up to date on everything. I'll take as much of the burden I possibly can. She's doing fine right now, one slight visual-related relapse in 4 years, after which she started Copaxone. I thought this would be a good place to get some advice, since we're young and not really being affected at the moment. We're well aware of how unpredictible MS is, and we want to be prepared. Her insurance is paying for the bulk of the Copaxone, we're very lucky to have that. We're looking for advice for our future. We want to be able afford the best possible solutions to anything that comes up. I know how to save for a car, kids college, house, etc, but this extra thing is a bit harder to wrap my mind around. Should we be stock piling 1,000's, 10,000's, or 100,000's of dollars in an MS "battlechest" for the future? I know there's no exact number here, I'm just looking for a ballpark.

Thanks for any advice!
Kacey
Family Member

Post by Kacey »

As a wife of an MS'er (strange term, but...ok) I would strongly advise you to start a savings plan and also look into one of those insurance policies that you pay into for time of sickness. My husband was diagnosed at 21. Had small exacerbations that would come about twice a year. We married when he was 30 and has since had 2 children. He is on Copaxone, but has been suffering more frequent bouts and severe, unrelenting depression. He develops severe leg pain, occasional weakness and unsteadiness and cognitive difficulties.
We pay into an insurance company called Combined Life. We pay about $28 a month, but when he is hospitalized for his MS and cannot work, he is payed for it.
I'm sure there are other insurance companies that provide the same type of coverage, look into it. It sounds like your fiance is doing very well, hopefully you won't need it. But it's great to have as backup.
Your fiance is very lucky that she has such great support from you. Good luck with your wedding!
Bubba
Family Elder

Re: Fiance with MS

Post by Bubba »

err
Last edited by Bubba on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Kacey
Family Member

Post by Kacey »

Bubba, your fiance is so lucky to have such a support system. You sound like a great guy! Good luck and be well!

Kacey
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

err
Last edited by Bubba on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Kacey
Family Member

Post by Kacey »

Wow, my mistake, sorry.......good luck with that... maybe one day she will realize..
Kacey
Family Member

Post by Kacey »

A thought, Bubba, and this is mere speculation...
sometimes when faced with the unknown, something so uncertain and scary as MS, people tend to shut down and put it out of their minds as if it isn't there...
perhaps to her, if she acts like it isn't there, then it really isn't. Maybe that is her own coping mechanism. It stinks for the ailing partner and it isn't right or healthy...for either of you. Maybe a support group for her, there are so many groups out there for the families...
I find just being on here is such a support to me...and I don't have MS.

Return to “Friends and Family”