The Risk Pool, Richard Russo

Discuss your favorite books here
JFH
Family Elder

The Risk Pool, Richard Russo

Post by JFH »

Well I must put my hand up and admit that I didnt get through this book! I've been trying to think why not. Of the bits I've read, about a third, I enjoyed Richard Russo's style of writng quite gentle and relaxed; I found the subject matter interesting and from a perspective and way of life (small town provincial) I had never thought about before. There is some humour, not side-splitting stuff but some passages that lighten some darker subject matter.

So why havent I finished it? I could blame the time of year and too much to do at work but that would be a cop out! I think really it was because I couldnt emphasise with any of the characters - although I liked the father's laid back attitude to authority despite his mysoginism. I havent yet really cared about what happens to the son and the story, so far as I've read, doesnt make me want to speculate what might happen to him - maybe it is a world so far away from my experience.

Well I shall finish the book but perhaps not before I've read several others - I'll leave it beside my bed to stare at me accusingly :wink:
John
I am what I am
Cagso
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cagso »

John,

I'm sorry you have not been able to get through the book! I hope others have been enjoying it. I've been pretty busy and have not quite finished it myself. Anybody else need more time?

-c.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

John, I have some of the same thoughts about the book as you. I did finish it, and it grew on me as I got further into it, but I didn't fall in love with it. As you said, I too never really felt a strong connection with the characters. I also felt like it was lacking a bit in humour. Maybe that was only in contrast to The Long, Dark Tea Time, which I thought was really funny.

Overall, I thought it was well worth a read, but I won't rush out to grab more Richard Russo books.