New book: Next by Michael Crichton

Discuss your favorite books here
lyndacarol
Family Elder

New book: Next by Michael Crichton

Post by lyndacarol »

I saw the Charlie Rose program yesterday in which he interviewed Michael Crichton about his new novel, Next. I have not read it, but it sounds good.

The author has an M.D. degree from Harvard and this book apparently deals with genetics; I have enjoyed several of his other books so I will look for this one, too.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Lynda,

I am on about page 450. It is a great read, as I find all of Crichton's work to be. I remember reading Jurrasic Park right when it came out and I thought it was the best book I'd ever read.

Next is a very good read. One of the pharmas in the book is called BioGen. One carefully placed capital letter away from our Avonex pharma. I just started it a few days ago and have not put it down when I'm at home. I read 300 pages in my first sitting with it I was so engrossed. If you are a Crichton fan, you will love it. It deals with mostly ethics issues surrounding the fast pace of discovery in genetics and how genetics can be used recklessly, ie before it's "trialed".

It also deals with transgenic animals that have some human gene sequences. The best one is the orangutan who swings through the trees cursing in a mix of dutch, french and english. I highly recommend it.
Jamie
Family Elder

Post by Jamie »

I read this, it's great and realistic.

Return to “Reading Nook”