Books that you re-read over and over

Discuss your favorite books here
zinamaria
Family Elder

Post by zinamaria »

oh, one more book, a beautiful read...very poetic, long sentences, beautiful imagery....and a terribly moving story...is not an easy read for those out there hooked on the dan brown's of the writing world...
The Lake, by Daniel Villasenor, highly recommend it.
cheers,
zinamaria
concerned

Post by concerned »

Can always return to:
-Naked Lunch by William S. Brurroughs II
-The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea
-The Revolution of Everyday Life by Raoul Vanegeim
-Society of The Spectacle by Guy Debord
-The Abolition of Work by Bob Black
-A Season in Hell & Illuminations by Aurthur Rimbaud
-The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen by Charles Baudellaire
-A Crack-up at the Race Riots by Harmony Korine
-Against His-story, Against Leviathan by Freddy Perlman
-Philosophy in the Boudouir, Justine, Juliette by de Sade
-Maldoror and Poesies by Lautremont
-Journey to the End of the Night, Death on the Installment Plan, Guignol's Band by Louis-Ferdinand Celine
-The Ego and His Own - Max Stirner
Richierich

Post by Richierich »

Hey there!

I’m a fantasy guy myself! I love reading Lord of the Rings over and over again, as well as the Hobbit. Can’t get enough. The same can be said about the Harry Potter Series, although they are very different from the Lord of the Rings series. I also like 1984 from George Orwell, read that a couple of times as well because I think it kind of fits with today as well.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

People here also read D.Gabaldon and R.Jordan?! Amazing:-)

The books that I always go back to at least once a year are by Robin Hobb-I am obsessed by her Liveship and Assassin trilogies.
I usually read books as 'fillers' while I am waiting for the next big one to come our from my fave authors and I have discovered Phillipa Gregory....I am enjoying English History with some great fiction thrown in...
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

I have read 'If On a Winter Night A Traveller,' by Italo Calvino, four times. It's such a great book!
HunnyBunny
Family Member

Post by HunnyBunny »

I love to read! And I love sci-fy and Jane Austen. I've read alot of the "classics" that you can get as freebooks, but nothing that I've really wanted to read twice. I'll admit I've read the twilight series 4 times each, I know, a little bit sad LOL! And same with Harry Potter! I just started the Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon, and am really enjoying it. My cousin got the me 1st book "Outlander", but it took me 4 tries in the first 100 pages before it finally got good, and now I appear to be hooked ;). It's sci-fy/historical/romance (but not a "romance").
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: Books that you re-read over and over

Post by Froggie »

If you need a good laugh, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is hilarious. I give it a read once a year, which I started back in 2004. I always find something new and I laugh out loud just as often as the first read. Unfortunately, Toole committed suicide and the book was published posthumously. Too bad!
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Froggie wrote:If you need a good laugh,
Thanks for reminding me about this thread, Froggie. I just realized that I've never even posted in the Reading Nook Forum before!

Anyway, my choice for the funniest book ever is "Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs." All his writing is hilarious, but almost every line of this (only 88 page) book made me stop to howl with laughter. I have a hard copy, but you can find a used copy for a quarter or so on Amazon if you want (or the local library); it's been around awhile. As a lifelong music person - whose brain has soaked up bad songs since the '50s - I knew every song in the book.

His introductory Warning tells you what you're getting into:
WARNING! Do not read this book. It will put bad songs into your head. ...give it to somebody you don't like. This book is an extremely powerful psychological weapon; it can immobilize even the most powerful intellect.
Chapters:

Weenie Music
Love Songs
Songs Women Really Hate
Teen Death Songs
Songs People Get Wrong

Now that I remembered it's here, I can't wait to read it again. :-D
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

Bad songs? Terrific! My husband is a Dave Barry aficionado and he's the one who steered me towards Toole. I'm also a music sponge and often recall lyrics, though I have no idea what the titles are! What a gift... Library, here I come.
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

euphoniaa- I have two words for you. Muskrat Susie...
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Froggie wrote:euphoniaa- I have two words for you. Muskrat Susie...
Well then, right back at you! :twisted:
MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
Oh, no
No, no
Oh NO!!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
ShootingStar
Family Member

Post by ShootingStar »

Harry Potter; "The Goodnight Gecko" by Gill McBarnet, and "A Fairy went A- Marketing" by Rose Fyleman. Wonderful illustrations in the latter two.

Adult books? My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin.
brent
Family Member

Post by brent »

Definitely Harry Potter for me :] just brings back so many happy memories. I still remember the anticipation I felt before each book got released. :]
Johangest

Post by Johangest »

Whole Harry Potter series for sure :) For "adult" books I like to read 1984 by George Orwell every few years.
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Return to “Reading Nook”