MS and relationships

Discuss therapy (group & individual), pet therapy, faith, spirituality, and so on here.
gomey

MS and relationships

Post by gomey »

About 4 years ago i developed a very big crush an a very beautiful girl. A year later she was diagnost with MS. We became extremely close over the years and several months ago she became my girlfriend. She is the love of my life and we are talking about one day getting married and having a family. I believe that in the next 10 years, a cure for this disease may be found, but am prepared if it is not. But it hurts to see her suffer. In the 3 years since she was diagnost her symptoms worsened. she is (not was) a professional dancer specializing in ballet and modern, but she hasn't danced in over two years. This has left a very big and terrible void in her life and is a huge source of depression and despair. I don't know what to do to help her. She has a family therapist that she has been seeing for many years but she doesn't see her enough because of her fatigue. She tells me i help her by just listening to her when she needs to vent, but it never feels like enough. sometimes, i feel like i am gonna loose it... but if that happens, how would i be there for her.... what do i do? :?: :?:
Sally
Getting to Know You...

Post by Sally »

Hi Gomey.

Sounds like, after sticking it out four years, you are doing exactly the right thing.....You are still there. This nasty desease has brolen up a lot of relationships, including marriages.

My hubby and I have been married 34 yrs and only 4 yrs when I was DX with MS. He is one of the good ones, like you!

Is your friend on any MS meds? Over the years I have tried a few, Avonex and Copaxone. Now those two drugs have helped many, but they didn't help me....as I progressed from rrms to spms. I am now on LDN and it has stopped my progression of disability, so far. I only wish I had discovered LDN while I was still rrms, because the rrmsers are seeing much symptom releif as well from this drug.

Just type in your browser Low dose naltrexone, and read all about it, to see if it's an option for your love.

Warm thoughts and prayers for you both.

Sally
JoyceF
Family Elder

Good advise for sure...

Post by JoyceF »

Hi there Sally,
Good advise that you just gave. In fact I was just thinking how I wanted to respond to this thread and say the very same thing. There is no reason that this girlfriend should have to suffer anymore disability from MS. I fully expect that the LDN that I have been taking for about 18 months now will halt any further progression of my MS and I thank God daily for finding it.
Good luck to you Gomey and please do look into the LDN and the website dedicated to info on it.
JoyceF
Sally
Getting to Know You...

Post by Sally »

Hi Joyce.

Thanks for pat on back!

Love ya, Sally :roll:
gomey

Post by gomey »

Thank you all for your kind words
I will look into LDN and talk to my Girlfriend, her family and her doctor to see if it should be looked into by her. Just remeber, the best drug for any disease is love.
mswp
Getting to Know You...

My thoughts..

Post by mswp »

Hi All,

Sounds like you have the right approach to me... good work.. you are one of those who have wider vision and see that regardless of what might happen, we are the same people.... often wiser.

I have read alot about LDN and have asked my Neuro to pass an opinion after their own research.

WIth PPMS, I have tried some of the drugs, none of which did anything.

MS'ers get to realise, that change (to varying degrees) is inevitable, some of us have to "buckle up for the ride...", it is how you manage the change and deal with it that is important....

a key ingredient is... love, you are so right, its a great place to start and to be able to deal with any situation....

:)

lookin' for my beautiful girl....... *lol* , still.....
Regards,

Peter Anderson
http://www.mswebpeople.com/
MS WEB PEOPLE

Melbourne Australia.
Fern
Family Member

Post by Fern »

In addiiton to all the good advice given by other posters, perhaps you can help this woman find a replacement interest/hobby/pursuit/cause to fill the void left by her inability to continue dance.
Maeve
Getting to Know You...

Post by Maeve »

How lucky for both you and her . . . especially her . . . I'm single and have men refuse to see me because of the MS . . . didn't want to watch someone they may love go downhill . . . :cry:

To your girl: Hang on to that man!!!
heavymetalknitter

suffering in silence....

Post by heavymetalknitter »

I made a decision a long time ago to suffer with quiet dignity, the best way to describe it I guess, is like a queen that has had Her crown and position stripped from Her.... like you see in the movies....I dont talk about how I feel most of the time....its just the way I personally deal....but now that I have found this site.....watch out!! :)

Return to “Mental & Spiritual Health”