New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
prauly
Family Member

Post by prauly »

Hi everyone,
I was just 'officially' diagnosed with RRMS yesterday, and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. As much as I tried to prepare, by being informed, it is still so very overwhelming.

Well, my husband just found this site today, so I will be looking around!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi there prauly, welcome to TIMS. you are in good company here. we can all sympathize with the moments after diagnosis. get ready for the learning curve! you're in for the ride of your life :D
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
prauly
Family Member

Telling kids

Post by prauly »

Thanks Jimmylegs -- I am faced with a challenge. I have a daughter that is not quite understanding my limitations. Can you recommend a kid-friendly article, or MS presentation that she could relate? Just something that would be a starting point for the conversation.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again, yw. it can be hard for those close to us to understand, no matter what their age. how old is your daughter? that would help find a starting point for some talk.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

MomHasMS

Post by jimmylegs »

here is a link with a few ideas - not sure if they are age appropriate but some ideas look good:
http://www.healingwell.com/library/ms/moorhead3.asp
prauly
Family Member

Post by prauly »

Hi again Jimmylegs -
Thank you very much for the link, I will review the information with my husband and see what might work. She is "almost 12", which is a tricky age because she is too old for a baby-like explanation, but too young to really understand. All that she knows is that I seem to say 'no' to quite a few things, mainly due to my energy level, or because I may not be able to walk that far. I'm just not like the other moms! Which, breaks my heart.

Its funny, because I grew up with a mom that was ill (juvenile diabetes) and, when I had other issues (like back issues) I just kept trudging through, vowing that I would not let it affect her life. NOW, I cannot seem to prevent that from happening. All that I can think and hope is that she will grow up having more empathy for people with health issues, as a result of my issues.

I also have my dad visiting for the week, and it was also difficult to tell him. We just lost my brother to cancer, and to tell him that I have MS just about broke my heart. He went on to tell me about 4 or 5 horror stories, and my husband just kept looking at me from across the room. And, I kept giving my husband the 'he is old...he doesn't realize what he is saying' look!

Thanks again for the support! It is SO very much appreciated.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i hear ya re family, seriously. hopefully someone with kids will chime in here for you. also you could consider a few sessions with a counselor. i did that when i was first diagnosed and even though i didn't really get much advice that i thought useful, it was nice to have a professional sounding board without the emotional involvement of the people close to me.
msgator
Family Elder

Post by msgator »

Hi, sorry to have to welcome you to the club of MS patients. I am in CT also (Stafford Springs) have two kids (6 and 2) and was diagnosed in 1999. If there is anything I can do to help online or in person. Let me know.

:)

Ann
always look on the bright side of life

Veins opened 10/15/10. RIJV still on the small side. Feeling much better.
prauly
Family Member

May take you up on that!

Post by prauly »

Hi MSGator,
I would love to chat, if you have time some evening or weekend. I am still in the 'overwhelmed' phase, and trying to take in as much information as possible.

If you don't mind emailing me your contact information and some general times, I can give you a call some time.

BTW ...my name is Paula
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Parents with MS

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote:i hear ya re family, seriously. hopefully someone with kids will chime in here for you.
I realize that this is probably easily overlooked since it's the last forum listed, but there is a newly created forum just for parents with MS.
  • Parents with MS
    A forum for parents with multiple sclerosis, and how to cope with family life when a parent has MS.
NHE

Return to “Introductions”