Just got my brain mri

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
scott54321
Getting to Know You...

Just got my brain mri

Post by scott54321 »

Hi everyone,

Just found this board and need help. I just got my mri's done. Unfortunately, my doctor won't see it until Monday afternoon. I see a few white spots, and was wondering if this was ms. Could I post a picture of the mri on here, and see if anyone could tell me? If so, how do a put a picture on here?

Thanks
scorpions
Family Member

Re: Just got my brain mri

Post by scorpions »

There is no way anyone on here has the expertise to give you a diagnosis even if you were to post a picture of your MRI. I know waiting sucks but it is better to have your doctor read it than someone who is only making an educated guess. Welcome to TIMS and if you have any other questions or just need to vent this is the place!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

scott54321 wrote:Could I post a picture of the mri on here, and see if anyone could tell me? If so, how do a put a picture on here?
I agree with what Scorpion said, most of us are not doctors and you really need your doctor to evaluate the images and report.

However, if you ever do wish to post a photo to the forums, then these posts in the Forums FAQ thread will be helpful.

How do I post a picture to the forum?

Posting Pictures, Part 2: Image Hosting Sites

NHE
scott54321
Getting to Know You...

Post by scott54321 »

Here it is. I'm really scared.

euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Hi Scott and welcome. Wow what a healthy looking brain compared to mine! I have no idea what those two little spots mean, but check out this link to MY brain MRIs.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 16335.html

My brain is jammed full of classic MS-type lesions - some really big - and yours is not. :smile: My neuros have always said that lesions can mean anything. It will take an expert to evaluate your MRIs along with your symptoms. Many things are much more treatable than MS and the brain is very 'plastic' and adaptable.

Please don't panic, and please let us know how things go at your appointment. Even with all that garbage cluttering my brain I still work full time and do okay. Good luck to you!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
scott54321
Getting to Know You...

Post by scott54321 »

Thanks guys. Still waiting to hear from the doctor. With all the symptoms of extreme leg weakness, loss of balance, lack of coordination, can't concentrate, bad short term memory, and depression, I'm very worried. About fourteen years ago I had the spinal tap done. The results were negative for MS, but it said insufficient something. I didn't know if that meant that the sample they took was insufficient for the results, or the specimen was insufficient for ms. The doctor said I didn't have it, so I guess it was the latter. The waiting is the hardest part......sounds like a song.....
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I am NOOOO doctor. But one thing which does catch my eye as being a little different is the location of your two spots. I would of thought that the spots in MS are normally in the other gooey parts, not in these black regions (?ventricles?). Isnt this black area just a mass of CSF (ie fluid not brain tissue)?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Scott,
Do you know if the MRI image you have posted was done with or without gadolinium contrast?

NHE
scott54321
Getting to Know You...

Post by scott54321 »

without
scott54321
Getting to Know You...

Post by scott54321 »

just got the report

CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

That's peculiar she/he didn't request gadolinium-enhanced contrast to be used during your MRI. Did he/she give any reason?
scott54321
Getting to Know You...

Post by scott54321 »

No, should I ask them?
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

scott54321 wrote:No, should I ask them?
I would simply because:
wikipedia wrote:Once injected, gadolinium-based contrast agents accumulate in abnormal tissues of the brain and body. This accumulation provides a greater contrast between normal and abnormal tissues, allowing doctors to better locate uncommon cell growths and tumors.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadolinium#Applications
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Post by MarkLavelle »

CuriousRobot wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Once injected, gadolinium-based contrast agents accumulate in abnormal tissues of the brain and body. This accumulation provides a greater contrast between normal and abnormal tissues, allowing doctors to better locate uncommon cell growths and tumors.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadolinium#Applications
Not to disagree, but maybe a refinement:

My neuros both told me that lesions are visible with or without contrast. They do a 2nd scan with gadolinium to identify the active or recent lesions.

Good luck,
Mark

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

MarkLavelle wrote: Not to disagree, but maybe a refinement:

My neuros both told me that lesions are visible with or without contrast. They do a 2nd scan with gadolinium to identify the active or recent lesions.

Good luck,
Mark
Hi Scott,
I agree with Mark's comment above. My first brain MRI 8 years ago was without contrast, and it still showed so many MS-type lesions in my brain that I got a diagnosis the next day before I even saw my first neuro. The physiatrist said that he and the radiologist agreed they were almost 100% certain I had MS just from the MRIs.

A year later I got a 2nd set of MRIs both with and without contrast, and a 3rd set a year after that. All three of those MRIs showed the same lesions, no change, and the gadolinium has never shown any enhancement. And there was no enhancement in my most recent 2011 MRI either. (I also passed later tests to confirm, like the spinal tap.)

If you click on the link in my previous post (or right here), you can see the MRIs I posted.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 16335.html

I do agree that it made no sense for them to skip the gadolinium, because if they HAD found lesions, it would have helped evaluate them. Good luck to you on finding some answers and some relief!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)