Family Elder

Re: Optic Neuritis and possible cause for MS

Post by want2bike »

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

np viv :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

want2bike wrote:Cleleste are you using vitamin C or Ascorbic acid? These are not the same.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/16436 ... rbic-acid/
[color=blue]Livestrong[/color] wrote:While citric acid and ascorbic acid have very similar properties, they are two very different compounds with entirely different purposes. The chief difference between the two is that one is natural and the other is man-made. At a molecular level, citric acid and ascorbic acid differ by only one oxygen atom, but that atom is the difference that makes ascorbic acid a better preservative and citric acid a better additive.
This couldn't be further from the truth. Citric acid and ascorbic acid are two entirely different molecules. They differ by much more than "by only one oxygen atom." They are both chemically and structurally different. Moreover, both are naturally occurring.

Citirc acid:

Ascorbic acid:

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you always have great input nhe :D
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Celeste485
Family Elder

Post by Celeste485 »

Vivianne, you know a lot about vitamin c and calcium, there is not much I can give you. Apply all your knowledge to your low iron issue that iron is your friend and enemy at the same time and good luck!. I don't believe the problem is with iron from meat or plants. I believe the problem is with the iron made in a lab. I believe that particular iron is causing all kinds of problems. as far as my daughter goes, I don't really know what to do, until I test her liver. For now I do what I can do to help her. I give her iron supplement only when she needs it and I block everything else. In another word, I try to keep her alive by giving enough iron for the day but not enough to overload. And that's only until I test her. So stick around and once I have her tested I'll tell you if she had iron overload or not. And we'll go from there.
I am not joking. I hope you have a good doctor. You need to be tested for iron overload. Nothing else matters. I will have my daughter tested soon, i found a place that will do it very inexpensively. Once we have the results, I'll let you know. Until then just don't overdoit.

Guys, do I really care about vitamin c and ascorbic acid? The answer is NO.
Any other questions?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

if anyone had iron deficiency anemia and overload at the same time they would need to take the possibility of dysregulation very seriously... to me it seems like an absolute no brainer..

this page starts off on the wrong foot (there are no "red blood cells in hemoglobin") but I think it would be interesting to follow up on this poorly worded snippet
http://www.irondisorders.org/iron-overload-with-anemia "Patients who have this combination of too much and too little iron are individuals with cancer, acquired or inherited disorders that result in faulty blood cell production or blood cell management. Some of these diseases are thalassemia, sickle cell disease, sideroblastic anemia, enzyme deficiencies, bone marrow problems, iron-transport protein problems."

mention of acquired disorders, enzyme deficiencies and iron transport protein problems bring me straight back to my old friend zinc.. serum levels in healthy controls tend be in the high teens (eg around 18-19 umol/L)... whenever I take iron supplements I get symptoms which I suspect are linked to the iron driving zinc levels down (the interactions are established in research, but in this specific case I have no personal lab testing to back up exactly what is happening with me)

oh celeste you love vitamin C ;) it will help you get that good whole food iron that you and your daughter both need.. and again those heme sources (plus possibly pumpkin seeds) will be the best for working on iron zinc balance. I am really too busy to be on here today, so will read your pubmed links when I have some time :)
Asil

Post by Asil »

Hi there!
I am currently 25, but when I was 14 I had optic neuritis as well. I woke up randomly one morning without being able to see out of one eye. I was a healthy, active kid, and I actually was a big swimmer and always spent time in pools, rivers, and lakes. However, I definitely don't think I personally had a connection with swimming.. I have issues with pressure in my ears in the deep end of pools, but also when I hike up high! I was put on heavy duty steroids for 10 days following my attack, and gradually my eyesight has recovered a bit.. not entirely, but definitely better than completely black. My parents had a really hard time knowing what to do (start medication or not) because I was so young and also I didn't have a full diagnosis of MS yet... 10 years later I was diagnosed, I am still in good health with some set backs here and there. The best possible thing since having my first attack at 14 was having a great friend group and an amazing family. I remember feeling very respected by my parents, they always encouraged me to research, talk about my feelings and symptoms, and ask for help anytime I needed it.
Anyways, I wish all the best for your daughter.